none
Product Licence Expired - Search Server Express 2008

Pergunta

• Hi there,

Have a win 2003 server with WSS3 and MOSS 2008 express edition. The search for the website has stopped working - get this message when trying to search :

Microsoft.Office.Server.ProductExpiredException

Have tried the restarting all of the services both via services.msc, and in central administration for WSS. Have also tried to run the configuration wizard.

Have also checked that a configurable account is running the search services, with admin rights, and that there is only 1 server running.

Also have reset IIS, and bounced the machine. The version appears to be the RTM version.

I tried the hotfix recommended by MS - no luck there either.

The notifications area for the search operations has a note that says something like ' the trial for this product expired on 28/4/2012, to continue using this product, please reinstall the trial with a valid licence key' - Does this mean i need to re-install MOSS Express 2008 ?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for resolving this problem please ?

Thank you,

quarta-feira, 16 de maio de 2012 08:38

Todas as Respostas

• Hi, see

Microsoft Search Server Express 2010 Secure Store Service and August CU
    ProductExpiredException

MVP Office Development, MCP, MCTS SharePoint 2010 Development

quarta-feira, 16 de maio de 2012 13:10
  • Hi Joao,

Thank you for the reply,

does that apply to Search Server Express 2008 though ? - the hotfix appears to be for 2010 only ?

Thanks,

Mark

quarta-feira, 16 de maio de 2012 15:41
  • Hi!

I wrote a post on that sometime ago, see

http://msmvps.com/blogs/officept/archive/2011/09/19/moss-search-trial-experied-your-licence-convertion-operation-failed.aspx

quarta-feira, 16 de maio de 2012 16:46
  • Hi Joao,

Thank you for your help so far  - i checked that blog post - it doesn't describe the solution though ?

How did you get around the problem? - the product licence key dialog is read only for me as well . your blog  post only gets as far as that ??

Thanks,

Mark

quinta-feira, 17 de maio de 2012 09:00
  • Hi Mark,

This issue occurs because the installation of the 2007 Microsoft Office servers Service Pack 2 activates the product expiration date incorrectly.

KB 971620 should fix the issue.

Please do verify first that 2007 Microsoft Office servers Service Pack 2 is installed in production environment.

Details from KB:

"When you install the 2007 Microsoft Office servers Service Pack 2 package, the product expiration date is activated incorrectly. As a result, any of the products that are listed in the "Applies to" section of this article will expire 180 days after Service Pack 2 is deployed, as if you had performed a trial installation. The activation of the expiration date will not affect the regular function of these products until the expiration date passes. The expiration date will pass 180 days after you deploy Service Pack 2. If a product expires, its expiration will not affect data, configuration, or application code. However, the Office Server product will be inaccessible to end-users. 

Additionally, Office SharePoint Server Trial with Enterprise Client Access License, or a similar product, is displayed on the Convert License page."

Hope this helps.

Rizwan

• Editado MRizwanAhmed sexta-feira, 18 de maio de 2012 04:07
    • Sugerido como Resposta Zakir HC sexta-feira, 18 de maio de 2012 05:09
    sexta-feira, 18 de maio de 2012 04:05
  • Hi Rizwan,

Thanks for the reply,

The server doesn't have that service pack applied - it's a 2003 windows server.

I did try that hotfix just in case - it fails with a notification that 'this server does not have the 2007 office servers service pack 2 installed'

Would you have any other suggestions for resolving the issue ?

Thank you,

Mark

segunda-feira, 21 de maio de 2012 15:31
  • I have the same issue. Did you find a resolution for this Mark?
    terça-feira, 22 de maio de 2012 11:46
  • Hi, see this task list

terça-feira, 22 de maio de 2012 11:55
  • Hi Joao,

Thanks again for your reply, i will try this task list this evening, and see how things go,

GolfGtiMk2 - no, i haven't found the resolution yet, i'm going to try as Joao has suggested, and take it from there,

Regards,

Mark

terça-feira, 22 de maio de 2012 13:51
  • Hi again,

Have tried the suggestions in the task list - both search and help service runniing under same configurable account. Repair carried out, reboot, then config wizard, still have the same problem. :-(

I get this message in the notifications area:

The trial period for the installation on server WEBSERVER2 will expire on 4/28/2012.
    To continue using the server after this date, please rerun setup on the trial server and enter a Licensed Product Key during installation. It is recommended that you create a backup of the installation before the expiration date.

I'm wondering now whether to uninstall moss 2008 completely, and then carry out a fresh install - any ideas if that may resolve the issue ?

Thanks,

Mark

terça-feira, 22 de maio de 2012 22:05