none
Mapping network drive reliably

Domanda

• I'm using SharePoint 2010 Online as part of Office 365 and I need a way to reliably map a document library as a network drive. I can successfully map a document library or use the Open in Explorer button about 60% of the time. This is unacceptable.

I have my SharePoint site added to the trusted zones in IE. I have the Web Client service enabled and set to automatic. I've tried entering my credentials when I map the drive. Still, it won't reliably map the drive.

I also have an issue where if my computer shutdowns, hibernates or sleeps that the drive will be disconnected and I cannot reconnect it. This is a surefire way to break the drive mapping. Even if I open IE and navigate to my library it will remain broken until it randomly decides to work.

Having a persistent connection isn't nearly as important as being able to establish a connection at will with good reliability. I can take care of the checking/mapping using a batch file easily enough it I can be sure that the net use command will actually work.

Any suggestions?

mercoledì 27 luglio 2011 21:05

Risposte

• This isn't exactly solved, but I've just about made this functionality usable. There are a few things that I do when I need to mount my SharePoint server as a network drive:

• Make sure the WebClient service is running and set to Automatic
    • Restart the WebClient service if it is running
    • Delete the mapped network drive it isn't functioning properly
    • Navigate to your SharePoint site, log in if you are asked
    • Make sure your SharePoint site is in your Trusted zone and it is set to the lowest possible setting. Creating another zone might be the safest route

All of these things help. Sometimes the mapping will even survive a restart. Still, it isn't very reliable. I actually made a program that will check if the drive is mapped and then try each of the above methods until one works. This way I have about a 95% chance of successfully mapping SharePoint.

lunedì 1 agosto 2011 20:22

Tutte le risposte

• Hi,

have us tried in command line

net use * "http://yourwebsiteurl/Document Library"

This should map the folder as a network driver worked for me well

Hope this helps
    Kind regards Stefan

http://www.n8d.at/blog
    Follow me on Twitter: StFBauer | n8design
    Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    MCTS - SharePoint / WSS Configuration and Development
    mercoledì 27 luglio 2011 22:17
  • I've tried many times. In fact, I have a batch file that checks whether the network drive is mapped and maps it if it isn't. The thing is that the net use command won't work every time. I have about a 40% failure rate, no matter the method I choose to use.

It wouldn't be so bad if I knew how to fix it when it breaks. At least then I could try to make a workaround and automate it for my users.

giovedì 28 luglio 2011 12:35
  • This isn't exactly solved, but I've just about made this functionality usable. There are a few things that I do when I need to mount my SharePoint server as a network drive:

• Make sure the WebClient service is running and set to Automatic
    • Restart the WebClient service if it is running
    • Delete the mapped network drive it isn't functioning properly
    • Navigate to your SharePoint site, log in if you are asked
    • Make sure your SharePoint site is in your Trusted zone and it is set to the lowest possible setting. Creating another zone might be the safest route

All of these things help. Sometimes the mapping will even survive a restart. Still, it isn't very reliable. I actually made a program that will check if the drive is mapped and then try each of the above methods until one works. This way I have about a 95% chance of successfully mapping SharePoint.

lunedì 1 agosto 2011 20:22