none
SharePoint 2010 People Search and MySite

שאלה

• I am planning to implement People Search on our Sharepoint 2010 env, but have following queries regarding it:

Req: People Search (Basic + Advanced)

- Apart from basic fun. like (Pic of person....), Organizational Structure of searched person should be displayed on User profile page.

I know all this info is available OOB in SP2010 people search, but do we need to configure My Site for each user for having this facility??

If yes, then can you provide any info regarding infrastructure req. for same ( I am looking forward to use this search for 20,000+ persons). Will it be feasible and effecient to configure or allow to configure (Self Site creation) for 20,000+ users on Sharepoint environment??

Moreover is there a possiblitiy of seeing the Organizational chart of search user on Mobile device like IPhone??

Thanks,

Amit

SharePoint 2010 People Search and MySite

Amit

יום חמישי 08 מרץ 2012 18:01

תשובות

• Editing your profile is part of the MySite host and does not require an individual MySite for each user in 2010.  So they can fill out all the fields that are stored in the Profile itself like Ask Me About, Skills, Education Etc.  Personal MySites are only necessary if users need to store their own documents or lists.  Think of it like the old network share drives.  The personal MySite is the equivalent of your personal home drive on the network.  Its the place that each user controls access to so they can store things and decide who gets access to them. 

Remember you can control how much space each user gets in their MySite with a site collection quota.  The default is 100MB, but you can either increase or decrease that.  Also remember that storage is only allocated as needed.  So you only hit the maximum if all 20,000 users each store 100MB of personal documents, list items, etc.  The required storage for a basic MySite that is never used is much less.  In most implementations a majority of users never visit their MySite.  Since it is created the first time a user accesses their own MySite (not the MySite host, but the personal mySite itself) many of those 20,000 MySites will never get created or used.  20 TB would be the maximum, but most implementations would see a fraction of that usage.

So yes, I do have large clients using personal MySites and it does take proper planning.  But the bottom line is that you can also fully utilize the Profile features with just a MySite host and no personal MySites.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Chief SharePoint Architect: Sharesquared
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי aryan30 יום שישי 09 מרץ 2012 16:12
    יום שישי 09 מרץ 2012 12:58

כל התגובות

• You will need to configure a MySite Host and the User Profile service to enable People Search.  But you don't need personal mySites for all your users.  Most of the information, including the org browser, are displayed for each user in the MySite host you specify.  Individual My Sites are only used when storing personal content.  The rest is all viewed through the mySite host.

There are two versions of the org chart browser.  One uses plain HTML and can be viewed on the iPhone.  The other uses Silverlight which can't be installed on the iPhone.  If you navigate to the org chart tab in the my site host for a user it should default to the HTML view if silverlight isn't installed.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

יום חמישי 08 מרץ 2012 18:46
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for info. Do we get the ability where users can enter some minimal information about them, e.g. their current work etc. I am not sure that for this minimal info if MY Site is required??

Do you think if this is feasible to allow (20,000+) users to still let them create their own MY Sites ??

(20000 * 100 MB)= 20,000,00 MB= seems like lot of H/w requirements for storage?? Do you think this is feasible/advisable.

Amit

Regarding Org Chart (HTML) version can be viewed on IPAD, i am still struggling to find this link on my IPAD emulator. Is this option available in any of the mobile views??

As by default Sharepoint redirects the user to mobile views depending on the mobile device, i am being redirected to Mobile version.

I do not want to stop this redirecting by editing Combat.browser file.

Can you please provide some pointers on same?

Amit

• נערך על-ידי aryan30 יום שישי 09 מרץ 2012 12:52
    יום שישי 09 מרץ 2012 06:48
  • Editing your profile is part of the MySite host and does not require an individual MySite for each user in 2010.  So they can fill out all the fields that are stored in the Profile itself like Ask Me About, Skills, Education Etc.  Personal MySites are only necessary if users need to store their own documents or lists.  Think of it like the old network share drives.  The personal MySite is the equivalent of your personal home drive on the network.  Its the place that each user controls access to so they can store things and decide who gets access to them. 

Remember you can control how much space each user gets in their MySite with a site collection quota.  The default is 100MB, but you can either increase or decrease that.  Also remember that storage is only allocated as needed.  So you only hit the maximum if all 20,000 users each store 100MB of personal documents, list items, etc.  The required storage for a basic MySite that is never used is much less.  In most implementations a majority of users never visit their MySite.  Since it is created the first time a user accesses their own MySite (not the MySite host, but the personal mySite itself) many of those 20,000 MySites will never get created or used.  20 TB would be the maximum, but most implementations would see a fraction of that usage.

So yes, I do have large clients using personal MySites and it does take proper planning.  But the bottom line is that you can also fully utilize the Profile features with just a MySite host and no personal MySites.

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי aryan30 יום שישי 09 מרץ 2012 16:12
    יום שישי 09 מרץ 2012 12:58
  • Thanks Paul that helps a lot.

Do you have some inputs on this as well?

Regarding Org Chart (HTML) version can be viewed on IPAD, i am still struggling to find this link on my IPAD emulator. Is this option available in any of the mobile views??

As by default Sharepoint redirects the user to mobile views depending on the mobile device, i am being redirected to Mobile version.

I do not want to stop this redirecting by editing Combat.browser file.

Can you please provide some pointers on same?

Amit

Amit

יום שישי 09 מרץ 2012 14:12
  • Not sure about the emulator, but I just browsed out to my own profile on my iPad and the HTML Org browser comes up automatically.  The version of Safari on the iPad should read to the Compat.browser file just like it would on a regular Mac.  You shouldn't be automatically redirected to the mobile view.  At least I'm not getting redirected in our environment and I don't think we've made any modifications to the browser file.

There is no specific link.  Just browse to any user's profile page and click the Organization tab.  you'll see a note suggesting that you should install Silverlight, but the HTML view should show up right below the notice.

יום שישי 09 מרץ 2012 16:09