none
A DL is not available

Question

• I use distribution lists all the time to grant access to sharepoint.  I created two DLs, both security enabled.  One can be found on any sharepoint site collection and used to grant access.  Another one shows up on some site collections but not others.  The two site collections are using the same SSP.  I can't see why one DL would be available in one collection but not another.  Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    jeudi 21 janvier 2010 15:09

Toutes les réponses

• Hi super1,

Sorry for the late reply.

For your issue, you could not see one of the Domain Groups in some of the site collections.

Usually, the issue is related with the customized properties with the people picker control on the particular site collections. I suggest you to using getproperty of the following command to see if you have misconfigure them.

·         Peoplepicker-distributionlistsearchdomains: Stsadm property (Office SharePoint Server)

·         Peoplepicker-onlysearchwithinsitecollection: Stsadm property (Office SharePoint Server)

·         Peoplepicker-searchadcustomfilter: Stsadm property (Office SharePoint Server)

·         Peoplepicker-searchadcustomquery: Stsadm property (Office SharePoint Server)

If this is not cause of your issue, please let me know the results of the above command as well as the following questions for further investigation:

1.       Your SharePoint products editions and versions.

2.       Do the two site collections belong to a same web application or different web applications?

3.       What are the domain groups type? Universal, Global or Local?

4.       Do the two domain groups belong to a same domain or different domains? How about forest?

5.       Does the same issue happen on the other domain groups in the same domain?  

Lambert Qin

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact mtngfb@microsoft.com  

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    lundi 25 janvier 2010 05:39
  • Results from running the commands

distributionlistsearchdomains = <Property Exist="No" />
    onlysearchwithinsitecollection = <Property Exist="Yes" Value="no" />
    searchadcustomfilter = <Property Exist="No" />
    searchadcustomquery = <Property Exist="No" />

These have not been customized so I am providing the other information you asked for.
    Moss 2007  Enterprise 12.0.0.6421
    The two site collections are in different web applications and different application pools in IIS. 
    The Group is a security enabled Distribution List.
    The same domain
    I have not found other distribution lists that have this problem so far, but I am investigating one other that might be.

Thanks
    lundi 25 janvier 2010 17:56
  • Hi super1,

Thanks for your cooperation.

The results of the commands show that you do not add any additional properties on the people picker.

Then I am thinking about if the application have the correct permission to get the DL information from AD. Could you please clarify that?

If possible ,could you please capture a network trace and let me to do further investigation?

Here is the steps to capture a network trace log for your reference:

1.       Download Microsoft Network Monitor 3.3 if you don’t have Network Monitor tool installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=983B941D-06CB-4658-B7F6-3088333D062F&displaylang=en

2.       Install the Microsoft Network Monitor 3.3 on the machine which you would submit the form.

3.       Launch the Network Monitor.

4.       Create a New Capture in the toolbar.

5.       Click Start to capture the network traffic.

6.       Search for the problematic DL

7.       Reproduce the issue.

8.       Click Stop to stop capturing the network traffic.

9.       Click Save as button to Save the network trace log as a cap file.

10.   Create another New Capture in the toolbar.

11.   Click Start to capture the network traffic.

12.   Search for the normal DL.

13.   When the DL is identify in SharePoint, click Stop to stop capturing the network traffic.

14.   Click Save as button to Save the network trace log as a cap file.

15.   Send the two cap files to the workspace

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=742cfc0e-2ac0-447f-a6a3-26f722696c21)
    Workspace Password: O8saroRzJym*wJ

Lambert Qin

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin
    mardi 26 janvier 2010 07:32
  • Two captures have been uploaded.  When I search for the DL that isn't working, I get some results just not the one I am looking for.
    Thanks
    mardi 26 janvier 2010 18:12
  • Hi super1,

But I do not get the expected results from the capture file.

The people picker control should exchange messages via LDAP, but I do not get any LDAP message in both files. Therefore, I do not know what is going on in your side.

To be honest, I seldom see SharePoint traffic too.

Did you add some filter when using Network Monitor? If so, could you please remove all the filters and capture again, also make sure you choose the correct network adapter.

See  a general tutorial here: How to capture network traffic with Network Monitor (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/148942).

I am sorry due to the limitations of forum, I could not help you to troubleshoot on your side.

Thanks for your understanding.

Lambert Qin

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin
    mercredi 27 janvier 2010 03:13
  • I did not add any filter.  I am looking at the site trying to add someone to it as a member.  I click the address book to search for them and I do a query.
    mercredi 27 janvier 2010 20:15
  • Hi super1,

I understand you do not add any filter.

Could you please try to capture another trace for me? This time, please start the trace when you navigate to the site home page.

Besides the two traces of adding a normal DL and the problematic DL, please capture a trace of adding a normal AD user account.

Here is the workspace URL for your information:

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=742cfc0e-2ac0-447f-a6a3-26f722696c21)
    Workspace Password: O8saroRzJym*wJ

Lambert Qin

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin
    jeudi 28 janvier 2010 07:00
  • I have done the 3 additional captures and uploaded the files.
    Thanks again
    vendredi 29 janvier 2010 20:16
  • Hi super1,

However, this time, I still do not get the expected information.

After analyzed the trace, I think you perform the capture in your client machine.

If so, I am sorry I do not describe it clearly in my previous reply, the network monitor trace should be captured on one of your SharePoint WFEs.

If you have NLB enabled, you may need to temporally disable other NLBs or edit the host file to make sure you inspect the correct traffic.

Please help to capture the 3 traces in previous reply again. Thanks!

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Lambert Qin

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin
    lundi 1 février 2010 06:32
  • Hi Super1,

Did you happen to solve your issue? If so can you please let me know how? I am currently facing the same situation.. 

Thanks

mardi 26 juin 2012 14:46