none
Visio Web Access web part connection order

Question

• I have a Visio Web Access webpart that is currently connected to 3 different query filter webparts.  Here is what the query filter webparts are doing

- #1 - This is passing in the page name to the "Web Drawing Url and Page Name" connection
     - #2 - This is passing in the shape name to the "Shapes to Highlight" connection
     - #3 - This is passing in the shape name to the "Shape to View" connection

#2 and #3 pull from the same query string variable because I want to highlight AND center/zoom on a selected shape.  Everything works fine if I am already on the default page for the drawing but if I need to have it show a different page the highlighting works but the center/zoom functionality does not work.  

I assume this occurs because it is doing the zoom/center before it changes drawings.  I tried changing the order in which I made the connections so that the center/zoom would come last but that did not work.   

How can I make it so that it will do the center/zoom on pages that are not the default?

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that you have added three query string filters for the Visio web access web part, but the Shape to View connection doesn’t seem to work. How do you add the connections? In browser or in SharePoint designer?

I have a test based on your description: When editing in  browser, we cannot bind a query string web part to the Visio Web access web part twice. That means after you bind the query string web part to the Shapes to Highlight, you cannot bind it to Shape to View again. So you should add another query string filter web part to bind to Shape to View. In my test, the three query string web part works great.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:30 AM
  • I have 3 query string filter web parts and they are all connected to the Visio Web Access web part through the browser.  There is no problem in setting up the connections.  The problem is that trying to change pages, highlight a shape, and zoom in/center on a shape in the same page load does not always perform as expected.  Here is a more elaborate description of what I'm doing:

I have two query strings, "OfficeFloor" and "Employee" which are being passed into the web page.  The query string web part for "Web Drawing Url and Page Name" grabs the page name from "OfficeFloor" because each of my pages in the Visio drawing represents a floor plan ("1st Floor", "2nd Floor", etc.).  The query string web parts for "Shapes to Highlight" and "Shape to View" BOTH pull from "Employee" because each shape in the Visio drawing represents where an employee sits.  So an example request for the page would be "http://www.website.com/EmployeeFinder.aspx?OfficeFloor=3rdFloor&Employee=BobSmith" which would ideally make the Visio Web Access web part go to the page for the 3rd floor and then zoom/center and highlight where Bob Smith sits.

If the "3rd Floor" page is the default page for the Visio web access then it works fine and it zooms in, centers on, and highlights the "Bob Smith" shape.  However, if the "3rd Floor" page is not the default then it will only highlight the "Bob Smith" shape and NOT zoom in/ center on it.  

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Hi,

I have another test based on your description and the results are the same as yours. The zoom  only affects the default page. When you use the query string to navigate to anothe page, only the zoom will not work. I have tried with Zoom Level instead of Shape Name in the Shape to View data connection. And it zooms the default page instead of the page which you are browsing.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:02 AM
  • Now that we've established that there is a problem, how can I fix this?  Are there alternative web parts that I could use to make it zoom correctly?  Is there an alternative order to connecting the web parts that would make it zoom correctly?
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:47 PM