none
How do I Transfer a Web Part Page to Different Sub-site?

Question

• We use web page parts for creating multi-layer Intregrated SSRS-based dashboards.  I have no problems copying the .aspx files within the same directory and modifying the included web parts for rapid development.  However, when I copy the web part page .aspx to a subsite (we can rule out permissions because sub-site inherits parent's permissions), the web part page when launched from the sub-site retains the look and feel (including navigation tabs) of the original parent.  When I attempt to modify the page I receive an "unexpected error."  We would also like to move the web part pages to other sites, but at this point I'd be happy to just to move it to a sub-site.  Is there some raw level file I need to modify?  Any help would be appreciated.
    Best,

David
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If the original site is a publishing site, you want to move web part page from one site to another site (the two sits are in the same site collection):

Site actions>manage content and structure>right-click the page and click “move” in the menu> select the destination to move the page.

If the original site is a team site, you can first copy the page and then paste the page to the destination.

Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Friday, November 14, 2008 8:44 AM
  • Thank you very much for your response Xue-Mei.  We are running WSS 3 SP 1 (don't know if this changes the answer).  When I go to Site Actions (with full Site Administration Privileges), I don't get a "manage content and structure option."  I only get Create, Edit, and Site Settings.  In answer to your question, I am just trying to move a web part page page between site and sub-site within the same site collection.  I have tried the copy and paste method, which seems as if it should work, and it generates the problems described in my original post.  Again, I appreciate the help very much!

Best regards,

David
    • Edited by dlj2007 Monday, November 17, 2008 12:17 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2008 12:17 PM
  • This post might be a little too late, but for anyone who experiences similar problems.

It sounds as though the web part page has been modified using SharePoint Designer.  By doing so you are "customising" it, this is the new term for "un-ghosting".  A customised page will be saved in the content database as whole.  You should be able to open SharePoint Designer and select "un-customise" because the changes are held in the webpart zones you shouldn't loose anything.

Hope this helps

Dave
    My SharePoint Blog - www.davehunter.co.uk/blog
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:16 PM