none
"The settings for this list have been recently changed. Refresh your browser ..."

Question

• Hi. This is an error the users frequently get "at random" since our publishing portal has been moved to production.

As you might think, this is not random at all and I have been able to track down the problem in a clean and minimal MOSS setup with absolutely no customizations or custom code (new publishing portal with a "source" and a "target" variation).

The exact steps to get the error message are :

- Open a page in edit mode in target variation. Let's say we edit "default.aspx".

- In source variation, in another browser window, create a new page and publish it. Wait one minute for the varied page to propagate to "target" site.

- In the first browser window, "default.aspx", try to save your changes (save, save and close, check-in or publish, it does not matter).

Save is aborted with SPException and message "The settings for this list have been recently changed. Refresh your browser before editing this list."

Exception is coming from Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.BaseFieldControl.OnLoad. Easily seen with reflector. There is a validation in there that checks if List.Version has changed during edit and will raise an exception if so. Fact is, the variation engine indeed changes the Version of the "Pages" list in target variation when the new page is propagated (easily confirmed with SharePoint Manager). However, there are no significant changes in the list schema.

This happens faily often in authoring environment and cause loss data and time for the users. What would be the best way to fix this ??

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, December 13, 2010 8:25 PM quotes put around error message. Full error message is in text so doesn't need to be in Title. ... indicates there is more text and is within the quote mark
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post in this forum.

For the error that you have encountered, I think someone is making changes to a custom list you are trying to edit. Either close the browser and re-open it, or hit F5 to refresh it. If you still get the message, just wait a few minutes for the changes to be completed, and then try again.

Or you may create a new list  and update or delete the list item  again.

If the error  still exists, please give more details about the log files.

If the issue  does not exist, please try to make sure that you really removed all the event  handlers.

The following tool may help  you: http://elblanco.codeplex.com/releases/view/6856.

Through this tool, you can find whether the event handers are removed in the very List.

Hope this could help you!

Leo

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Monday, December 27, 2010 11:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by agezez Wednesday, January 05, 2011 6:56 PM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:33 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I double checked for any event receivers on my "pages" lists using the tool you suggested. There are none except for the built-in ones.

I uploaded a copy of the relevant log files.

I also uploaded xml schema of the target variation "Pages" list before and after content propagation. There are indeed changes that seem to be caused by the content propagation from source to target variation. You can easily spot em using text comparison tool.

Files are there:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_ILIYKd-6qZNWE4YmFjNmUtZjhkMS00ZGVhLWI5MzctNGZmN2I4NGM5NWMx&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

As of now I can reproduce the issue on 5 machines, including two SP2007 mahcines used for our project, and one SP2007 machine that never received custom code.

Don't know if it matters but the languages I am using for variations are French and English.

Thank you very much for helping !

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:42 PM SP 2010 references removed - wrong forum for SP 2010 comments
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:27 PM
  • Why was this post "Marked As Answer by Leoyi Sun " ?

Might be a misunderstanding here.

My original question has not been answered and the proposed solutions do not work.

The problem is that the variation propagation system built-in in MOSS updates the lists schema in target variation event when there is no shcema changes.

Any authors working on documents during propagation will get the error message when they finally save. If they hit F5 it will show the same error again. They have to hit back and reload the document, losing any changes in them. This is the non-satisfying behavior.

I hope to have detailed the problem more clearly. Thanks again.

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 5:49 PM
  • > Why was this post "Marked As Answer by Leoyi Sun " ?

>Might be a misunderstanding here.€€

>My original question has not been answered and the proposed solutions do not work.

In that case, you - as the person who asked the original question - can and should unmark that post.

(Another moderator)

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 6:55 PM
  • I'm responding here to confim the results of the original poster. This is indeed easy to reproduce in MOSS 2007 sites with Variations in use.

Thanks to the original poster for breaking it down so simply.

This is clearly a bug in the platform, and makes it very difficult to use this ECM system in a multi-author manner.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:43 PM 2010 reference removed. This is a pre-2010 forum
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 6:38 PM