none
SharePoint 2010 Subpages Menu

Question

• Hello,

I am working with my company's SharePoint wiki and I am trying to figure out a neat, clean way of creating a subpage menu. What I mean by that is easily described in the pictures I have below.

This screenshot is a picture of what the SharePoint currently looks like. The black box on the right side of the picture is where I want to put this menu.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8085/sharepoint.png

This is what I want to be able to do. Actually, the very thing I want to be able to do.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/4329/sharepointlooklike.png

The SharePoint version we are using is Foundation, but currently have Standard on its way.

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Geikeon,

There is a Quick Launch bar in left side of the home page, and I think that is right what you need. You need to change the Navigation Settings in Site Actions > Site Settings > Navigation > Enable Show subsites and Show pages in Current Navigation Section, and edit the Links in Navigation Editing and Sorting section to fit your requirements.

If you still want the navigation display on the right side of the page, you can create a custom web part (Or manually add links) and insert it into EnterpriseWiki.aspx Layouts page.

Best regards,
    Emir

Friday, May 20, 2011 10:29 AM
  • To get the those navigation options in site settings, the publishing features must be enabled - which are not available in SP 2010 foundation.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 12:43 PM
  • I will take a look at the navigation settings when I get Standard since as KjellSJ said, I can't do anything until then since I have Foundation. I'll take a look at that once it comes in.

Can this possibly stay open until I can check it out? I'll ask my boss in a few where the purchase for Standard is at.

Thank you both for you replies.

Friday, May 20, 2011 2:25 PM
  •  

Okay, we finally got SharePoint Server Standard 2010 and got it installed. I am taking a look at navigation settings and it's going really well now thanks to you both.

The main question I have now, though, is if you are able to configure the navigation for each page. What I mean by this is correct, in Navigation, you can organize it with the Navigation Editing and Sorting section, but it will be shown on every page and become quite big. Plus, you can't have sub-subpages. Basically, a hierarchy for each page. Similar to what I have below, main page being the fist one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

General                  |

Random                 |

Services                 |

|

|

|

|

Then something similar to the two below for other pages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

General                  |

- Info                    |

-Info2                 |

|

|

|

|

Thank you very much for your help, too.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Along with this, I can also use a Table of Contents web part if someone can help me with a question. Is it possible to make pages into a parent/child relationship? Take the post above, General being parent to Info (the child), and Info being the parent of Info 2 (the child again).

It seems as though the Table of Contents web part automatically picks this up, as I was able to do this by going to Site Settings > Site Actions > Navigation and using the Navigation Editing and Sorting option. I created a heading called General, and put the pages underneath of it to create a similar parent/child relationship. The only problem is if I try to add another heading and make That, also, a child of General, it won't do so. So it would look something similar to below.

General (Heading)

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Test (Heading)

It seems as though there's no way to create a relationship with this greater than 1.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you for your help.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:30 PM
  • Anyone got information on this by chance?
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:41 AM
  • We're coming from the Windows 2003 IIS FrontPage style site which has a navigation system of parent & child pages. Like the original poster, I'm finding it hard to define parent/child pages in any of the SharePoint standard sites. It just appears to a flat list of pages.

Even DotNetNuke can create nested tree structures of pages.

Rob.

Friday, June 22, 2012 4:06 PM
  • You can't use a page as the parent of other pages. neither is folders supported for the /pages/ library. Neither is creating extra lists than /pages/ to store publishing pages in a (sub)site supported due to some "hardcoded" logic in the publishing infrastructure. The only supported method for creating hierarchies is to create subsites for each section to get a "child" /pages/ list.
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:36 AM
  • I have realised since posting that you can create lots of child sites to achieve the same effect esp. when you find the Manage content and structure option. It took me a while to sort of get my head around the fact that in SharePoint, a Site Collection is more akin to the previous concept of "Site" and that you can create lots of sites in a collection. They are just a node in the tree in a way.

Does make it a little harder to generate a drop-down menu showing child sites and their child sites etc. but that's less of a problem as the search is much improved.

Cheers, Rob.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 1:29 PM