none
add document size column to document libraries

Question

•  

How would one add a doucment size column to my document libraries?

I dont see this as an option in the list of available columns to add to add. I would think this would be a pretty basic optoin that would be available.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:54 PM

Answers

• The file size is an attribute of the document (like the modified date), not technically a column that you can add or remove from the library. This attribute, however, can be added to or removed from a view.

1. Open your document library

2. In the upper right-hand corner, there is a list of views, showing the current view.

3. Select either Create View or Modify View

(You can also get to this from the Settings page. Locate the list of views, and either click on "Create View" or click the name of the view you wish to modify).

4. You will see the list of columns and attributes available for your view.

5. One of these attributes will be "File Size".

6. Select it, and set the order in which you wish it to appear in your view.

7. Click OK.

Saturday, May 31, 2008 12:59 PM

All replies

• If I had to do this, I would start off by thinking in terms of an event handler that populates a site column field with the file size, but only because I can't think of how to do it directly via the UI.

Windows explorer shows the size, I believe.

Never thought much about this.

--Paul Galvin, Conchango
      RSS @ http://feeds.feedburner.com/PaulGalvinsSharepointSpace
      Web site @ http://paulgalvin.spaces.live.com
      Twitter @ http://twitter.com/pagalvin

Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:36 PM
  • Yeah, for other security reasons I have disabled the ability to use windows explorer, I was hoping to do this within the site. It just seems wierd that something as trivial as file size is not an option by default.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 2:11 PM
  • I'm confused by this question because when you create a View in a document library, you have "File Size" listed that you can include in the view.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 2:25 PM
  •  

I'm also trying to add a "File Size" column to a SharePoint 2007 documents folder.  I can't find a column by this name in the SharePoint administration screens like "Customize Shared Documents" or "Add Columns from Site Columns".

Even on SharePoint sites that already include a "File Size" column (upgraded from SharePoint 2003), there's no "File Size" column listed in the "Available Site Columns" list.

Perhaps something has changed in the upgrade to SharePoint 2007?  Is this a SharePoint 2007 bug?

Example:

1. Go to a documents folder and click on Settings in the action bar, and then select "Document Library Settings" from the dropdown list.

2. On the Customize Shared Documents screen, under the "Columns" section, Select "Add from existing site columns."

3. On the "Add Columns from Site Columns: Shared Documents" screen, browse the "Available Site Columns" list.  Note that "File Size" is not in the list.

The "Core Document Columns" that ARE available include fields like Author, Comments, Date Created, Data Modified, Format, Keywords, Last Printed, Publisher, Revision, Source, Status, Subject, Verson, etc.

Conspicuously absent is "File Size."

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:52 PM
  • The file size is an attribute of the document (like the modified date), not technically a column that you can add or remove from the library. This attribute, however, can be added to or removed from a view.

1. Open your document library

2. In the upper right-hand corner, there is a list of views, showing the current view.

3. Select either Create View or Modify View

(You can also get to this from the Settings page. Locate the list of views, and either click on "Create View" or click the name of the view you wish to modify).

4. You will see the list of columns and attributes available for your view.

5. One of these attributes will be "File Size".

6. Select it, and set the order in which you wish it to appear in your view.

7. Click OK.

Saturday, May 31, 2008 12:59 PM