none
suitable content type for news with images

Question

• Hello,

we're just starting with developing a new intranet site for our company, using SP2010. I'm trying to get my head around how to best structure/tackle the following scenario:

Users across the company can submit news items to be published on the portal home page. I'd like a content rollup with image thumb on the home page and click-through to the full article.

Users will specify
    - title for rollup on home page
    - teaser text for rollup on home page
    - image for rollup on home page

- title for full article
    - body text for full article (prefereably rich text)
    - image for full article

Then there will need to be some parameters like
    - publication date (for news item to appear in rollup)
    - unpublish date (for news item to be removed from rollup)
    - approval status

The idea is that the user's manager will approve the article, then the editor of the home page will provide final approval. This means that the whole thing will need some kind of workflow.

When the teaser on the home page is clicked, the user is presented with a new page that has the full article in an appealing layout, without any SP ribbons.
    How do I get started with this using only out of the box components? A custom list? Can I start from an existing list? If so, which one?

When I use a list, I can create columns for images, but the user needs to provide the image URL. This, in turn, requires that the image needs to be uploaded to an image library or similar, then they need to copy and paste the URL. This is too complicated. I'd like something simpler, but I don't seem to find a suitable content type. Can this be done at all? In other areas of SharePoint, I can insert an image, browse to it and it will automatically be loaded into the site assets. Is there a list field (content type) that supports that?

Our goal is to create the site with Out Of the Box tools and SharePoint Designer. We do not want to do any complex development with Visual Studio.

I've only just started with the SP2010 environment and don't yet know what's available. Googling is very unhelpful, since most results are about advanced development with Visual Studio, something I don't want.

All tips appreciated.

x-posted here

cheers, teylyn
    Monday, May 23, 2011 12:15 AM

Answers

• Turn on the publishing infrastructure feature and the publishing site feature, this will provide you with the /pages/ library and some page content types. Add customized page content types to extend the ootb publishing pages. The ootb page type contains rollup image as well as main image, and the content query web-part is used to show your article teasers at section home pages. Users won't see a ribbon if the only have read access, and it can also be hidden. See Andrew Connell's WCM book, and Waldek Mastykarz' blog for good advice and tools for WCM sites.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 5:13 AM

All replies

• Turn on the publishing infrastructure feature and the publishing site feature, this will provide you with the /pages/ library and some page content types. Add customized page content types to extend the ootb publishing pages. The ootb page type contains rollup image as well as main image, and the content query web-part is used to show your article teasers at section home pages. Users won't see a ribbon if the only have read access, and it can also be hidden. See Andrew Connell's WCM book, and Waldek Mastykarz' blog for good advice and tools for WCM sites.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 5:13 AM
  • Thanks for that. As a current user of WSS3, the Publishing Feature is new to me, but after playing around with it a bit, it seems just like my ticket.

cheers, teylyn

cheers, teylyn
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:50 AM