none
Custom Site Definition (in a bind)

Question

• So I have a fairly large issue with my sharepoint site - this is sort of a mix of customization/administration. We've had developers create a custom site definition. Branding, Content types, the whole 9.

The problem now is with the custom SD the application master pages, webtemp files, and a few other unsupported (file system) files were overwritten to match the front end GUI  (we do have the originals). We've found that from the latest patches, something is causing our sites to break now(we tested in dev). We want to expand, but we don't want this messed up site definition/web app which has seemingly taken over our sharepoint interface to mess with any other web apps we create. By itself its fine, if we keep it in isolation. Its also a huge site that is now in use so we can't just delete it or back out the SD.

Are there any solutions to how we can isolate this site, while building out other web applications? The only thing I can possibly think of (if its even possible) is somehow copying an OOB 12 hive or even just the layouts folder which holds the application masters, and in IIS possibly pointing any new sites to the OOB layouts folder instead of this customized one - leaving the terribly customized web app its own 12 hive layouts folder. The main problem again being we can't just reintroduce the original master pages etc... because it will cause UI issues and the site is currently in full use. (internally)

Any thoughts (no ridicule please :)  are appreciated)
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:59 PM

Answers

• I'll start with a quick bit of ridicule - dont touch the 12 hive! OK I'm good :-)

What could be an easier way out of this though would be to make a copy of the layouts folder, then go into IIS and change the path to the virtual directory (for _layouts). This should allow you to have your 'dirty' layouts directory in a different location and the rest of your sites can go back to using the OOTB stuff. You can do the same with any of those other virtual directories as well.

I hope that helps!
    Brian Farnhill
    Microsoft Certified Application Developer
    blog.brianfarnhill.com
    Canberra SharePoint User Group
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Monday, March 09, 2009 2:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:24 PM

All replies

• I'll start with a quick bit of ridicule - dont touch the 12 hive! OK I'm good :-)

What could be an easier way out of this though would be to make a copy of the layouts folder, then go into IIS and change the path to the virtual directory (for _layouts). This should allow you to have your 'dirty' layouts directory in a different location and the rest of your sites can go back to using the OOTB stuff. You can do the same with any of those other virtual directories as well.

I hope that helps!
    Brian Farnhill
    blog.brianfarnhill.com
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Monday, March 09, 2009 2:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Wow, thanks for the quick reply. A little ridicule is ok for letting this happen in the first place...

Any thoughts on how this will effect patching? The infrastructure patch shouldn't be a problem, but when we patch our servers, will it take some fancy footwork so that any updates to the 12 hive files will be done to the correct folders? I'll have to talk to my system admin, as I'm not an IIS expert.

The other thought I'm having is if there are actual 12 hive file updates, are we going to be left with a non-updated web application or something.. 
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Yea you would definately get yourself into a spot of  trouble when it comes to updates - its not an entirely impossible to deal with situation but would require some careful thought. Maybe this could be an interim solution for you while you try to fix the site to work like it should.

Brian Farnhill
    blog.brianfarnhill.com
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:00 PM