none
Conditional Formatting not working

Question

• Hi all,

I have a form which requires approval, in the list where the form is getting submitted there is a column called Approval Status. The form is split up into several sections (A, B, C etc..) via views/tabs. When the form is opened only section A is unlocked. I have the other sections set with conditional formatting to be locked until the form is submitted intially, so only section A is completed at first. This is done by checking whether the filename has been created or not.

The problem I'm having is, after the inital form is submitted and the approval status is set to approved, Section B should be unlocked, but its not working. I have my conditional formatting like:

If strFileName 'is blank' OR Approval Status 'is not equal to' Approved 'Disable this Control' (the control being the tab button)

So after the form gets submitted, a file name gets created, and then when a person switches the field to Approved, it should unlock right?? Am I using the logic correctly? Hopefully that was explained cleary, its hard to describe the form without images.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:15 PM

Answers

• My approach would be: divide and conquer:

A) try ONLY If strFileName 'is blank'  'Disable this Control' and see if it works

b) try only If Approval Status 'is not equal to' Approved 'Disable this Control' and see if it works

Christos
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Friday, February 25, 2011 1:58 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:51 PM

All replies

• Hi, I have a hard time with the conditions when there's multiples ---- most of the time I use "and" or "or" improperly.  Try changing your "OR" to an "AND" and see if it produces the result you desire.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Maybe I'm not understanding how the conditions work. If I say "If whatever is true" disable this control. If the item is false or changes to false shouldn't it enable the control? Or is that not how it works? How would I set up a condition to enable a button when  condition is met?
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Yes, you are understanding how the conditions work.  If the condition is false the control should be enabled.  Did you try changing or OR statement to an AND?  Usually I split these conditions up.  I keep them separate; meaning on the same tab control have your "if strFileName is blank disable this control" (without the approval condition).  Then add another condition "if Approval Status does not equal Approved disable this control"
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Yeah definitely not working the way I would think it should. I even simplified it. The value condition is "if the column is no, disable" the column is definitely yes and it still doesn't work. :/  When I open a submitted form, it should check the value and render accordingly right?

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:36 PM
  • Yeah definitely not working the way I would think it should. I even simplified it. The value condition is "if the column is no, disable" the column is definitely yes and it still doesn't work. :/  When I open a submitted form, it should check the value and render accordingly right?

I know it may not seem to help much, but things like this always come back to logic errors.  InfoPath conditional formatting works EXACTLY how you tell it to work.  Please write out the entire conditional statements with the EXACT syntax, and then maybe we can help you figure it out.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:48 AM
  • Yes, please do post your exact syntax as well as the possible values for these fields.  And remember that these are case sensitive -  so, if your value for approval status gets set to "Approved" but the condition is trying to match "approved" it will not match.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:39 PM
  • My approach would be: divide and conquer:

A) try ONLY If strFileName 'is blank'  'Disable this Control' and see if it works

b) try only If Approval Status 'is not equal to' Approved 'Disable this Control' and see if it works

Christos
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Friday, February 25, 2011 1:58 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:51 PM