none
How to export a column of a sharepoint list to word/excel?

Question

• I have to export a content of a column in a list, I'm pertaining to one cell and it's content.
    Export the content to Word to make it printable.
    The cell is a multiple line of text type. so it's content is paragraphs and need to be exported so we can print it to hard-copy.
    Is this possible? and please teach me how
    Thank you!

Monday, August 01, 2011 7:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

There is not such a OOTB feature to meet your requirement directly.

Here is a workaround you can try if it can meet your demand.

You can create a list with only one column(e.g. called "doc"). Then creating a workflow with a lookup defined to fill in the "doc" with the content you want in your list. Then you can just export the new list to excel to get the content you want. Here is an article about how to define a workflow lookup:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/define-a-workflow-lookup-HA010237830.aspx

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, September 09, 2011 6:51 AM
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:25 AM

All replies

• you want OOTB functionality or through code.

Export sharepoint list in excel sheet through c# code, Please review this link.

http://www.etechplanet.com/blog/export-sharepoint-list-to-excel-spreadsheet-programmatically-using-c.aspx 

And if you want this functionality as OOTB then SharePoint also provides an out of the box feature to export custom lists into excel sheets. You just need to open the list and click on "Actions->Export to Spreadsheet", which asks to save a query file. Then you can copy the content in new excel sheet.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks -NK
    Monday, August 01, 2011 7:45 AM
  • im not pertaining to the list itself but the content of a specific column/cell in the list

example, i have 3 columns, title, doc and id

doc columns is hidden column containing 1-2 paragraphs.

I have title "one" as my first item, in it's column doc has the content of a short story then an id of number "1"

I want to make the doc of item number 1 which is "one" to be printable/downloadable.

is there any way, code or ootb is fine, I'm new to sharepoint anyway

but I don't know coding in C.

btw, my doc column is hidden when in allitems.aspx

since it is more than 5 lines of text, it will flood on my allitems.aspx

so i hid it and will only be seen if the user click the title of the item

Thanks!

• Edited by highlight_all Monday, August 01, 2011 8:04 AM add details
    Monday, August 01, 2011 8:01 AM
  • How often will you need to do this? Just use the built in export to spreadsheet feature and then delete the columns you don't need from that spreadsheet.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/
    Monday, August 01, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Well each item equivalents to each user.

The user need only to get copy of the short story assigned to him/her.

I was planning to redirect the user to the doc that can be printed so it wont be a hassle to them to click the export spreadsheet then edit the columns to their liking plus if we use the export to spreadsheet, other user can get a hold of other stories that is not assigned to them

and the doc content, It needs to be printed in word, excel is just an option.

btw, the redirect page is an html page made after the user choose to accept a terms before getting a story.

once the user accepts, the code adds the user to the list and add a random chosen story to it's doc column. after that the user is redirected to the html page where the link of the story that should be printed by the user is placed.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 12:58 AM
  • Hi,

There is not such a OOTB feature to meet your requirement directly.

Here is a workaround you can try if it can meet your demand.

You can create a list with only one column(e.g. called "doc"). Then creating a workflow with a lookup defined to fill in the "doc" with the content you want in your list. Then you can just export the new list to excel to get the content you want. Here is an article about how to define a workflow lookup:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/define-a-workflow-lookup-HA010237830.aspx

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, September 09, 2011 6:51 AM
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:25 AM
  • We have another problem, the server is outdated

and no workflow in sharepoint designer :( this is so frustrating... and the owner of the server wont upgrade the moss.

Thursday, August 04, 2011 5:34 AM