none
How to Filter data based on the list columns using chart webpart

Question

• Hi ,

I have a Custom List with Columns as sales ,department and year  , i have to filter data based on the department .using OOB sharepoint chart webpart .

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 8:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Giri,

Here are the steps.  I have done all steps by UI ,not using SPD.

1.       Create a Custom list, named “Sales”, And then add “Year”( Single line of text), “Department”(Choice) and “Sales” (Currency) columns to this list;

2.       Go to the home page (I used the home page to do this demo),  Click “Edit Page” action, and then insert Web Part, select the “Sales” List web part, which I have created just now, and then save the page;

3.       Edit the page again, add the “Text Filter” Web part to the page, and then connect them; “Get Filter Value From ” and  select the “Department ” as the Consumer field name, save the page;

4.       Test whether it works or not;

5.       Edit the page, add “Chart Web Part” to the page and save the page;

6.       Click the “Data & Appearance” link in the web part, and select “Connect Chart To Data” in next page:

a.       Step1: Select “connect to another Web Part”, and click “Next”;

b.      Step2: in the Web part connection, you can view the “XsltListViewWEbPart - Sales” in the dropdown list, select it can click “next” button;

c.       Step3: Source Data format: Table;

d.      Step4: Data bind detail. Y—Sales; X—Year, and finish the step.

7.       Go to the home page, and test;

• Marked as answer by Giri.u.raj Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Giri,

Thanks for your post.

The Chart Web part Cannot be connected to Filter web part directly. But you can achieve this indirectly.

Prepare:

1.       The chart web part can get data from other web part in the page;

2.       The filter web part can be connect to the SharePoint list view Web part.

Filter web  part -> list view web part -> chart web part

Here are the steps:

1.       Add the list web part to the page.;

2.       Add a filter web part (Text Filter or choice filter) to the page, and connect to the list view part, with the connect property “Department”;

3.       Add Chart Web part, when you go to the “Choose a Data Source”, you select “Connect to another web part”. And finish other steps.

More information:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/introduction-to-the-chart-web-part-HA101889216.aspx

Friday, February 04, 2011 7:39 AM
  • Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your reply ,

I tried as you said , but it's not working , when i tried to connect data source (connect to webpart ) form chart webpart , i didn't find any filter webpart option and when i connected  filter webpart with List view webpart ,the List view columns are not visilble in page ..can you give the clear steps to do ..Your help is much appriciated !!

regards

Giriraj

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:43 AM
  • Hi Giri,

Here are the steps.  I have done all steps by UI ,not using SPD.

1.       Create a Custom list, named “Sales”, And then add “Year”( Single line of text), “Department”(Choice) and “Sales” (Currency) columns to this list;

2.       Go to the home page (I used the home page to do this demo),  Click “Edit Page” action, and then insert Web Part, select the “Sales” List web part, which I have created just now, and then save the page;

3.       Edit the page again, add the “Text Filter” Web part to the page, and then connect them; “Get Filter Value From ” and  select the “Department ” as the Consumer field name, save the page;

4.       Test whether it works or not;

5.       Edit the page, add “Chart Web Part” to the page and save the page;

6.       Click the “Data & Appearance” link in the web part, and select “Connect Chart To Data” in next page:

a.       Step1: Select “connect to another Web Part”, and click “Next”;

b.      Step2: in the Web part connection, you can view the “XsltListViewWEbPart - Sales” in the dropdown list, select it can click “next” button;

c.       Step3: Source Data format: Table;

d.      Step4: Data bind detail. Y—Sales; X—Year, and finish the step.

7.       Go to the home page, and test;

• Marked as answer by Giri.u.raj Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Hi Wayne...

Thanks a lot ....

Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:04 AM
  • Hello,

I'm trying to do the same, but I don't have the option "Get Filter Value From".

When i click on the Connection, i have the two following options enabled:

- Send Filter Value To

- Get Default Value From (Is it the same as Get Filter Value From ? Cause if it's, it's not working for me)

Thanks for your support.

Math

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:48 PM
  • re information, based on the example, I don't have a Custom List but an External List.

The data's are coming from SAP (Duet) and I mapped the SAP Query to an External List.

Could that be the issue ?

Edit: Sorry, I tried again via the Custom List, and the filter is not working too. Is that could be an issue with my Chart ? Don't understand.

That is not showing what I expect :(

Thanks,

Math

• Edited by Fix_105 Friday, March 16, 2012 2:08 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Hi Wayne,

Everything works fine upto step 6c (Step3). On clicking next the page throw up an error message and nothing works after that. The page does not open there after. I just need to delete the page and start all over again.

What could be the problem?

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:58 PM
  • Hi everybody,

I had the same problem. The question is that you must add the chart part at the end, once you configure the filter webpart and the list, and once you conect the list to the filter. Then, add the chart part and it must work. Let me know if it works for you.

Good luck!

Friday, May 04, 2012 11:18 AM
  • It is possible to use choice filter with Sharepoint 2010 Chart webpart..

Follow below steps:

1, First step is to add a input parameter filter in the BDC connection.

2, Create chart.

3, Go to chart's Data&Apprearance => Retrieve and filter data and click on the + sign of the filter data. Make sure that your parameter name giving here exatly match with your filter parameter name in BDC.

5, Add Choice filter webpart and add your choice values.

6, Make sure that your Stored Procedure should be taking input parameters.

7, From the connection of Chart webpart, get filter values  from choice webpart.

Thats all.

Thanks

Benson, jose

• Edited by Joseph Ben Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:47 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:43 PM