none
SharePoint 2010 Column Limit

Question

• Is there any column limit in SharePoint 2010 like there was in SharePoint 2003 ?

We are using SharePoint 2010 RC and during testing, we encountered this error

Error
    Column Limit Exceeded.

There are too many columns of the specified data type. Please delete some other columns first. Note that some column types like numbers and currency use the same data type.

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.
    Correlation ID: 76465190-f651-4aa8-bf1f-be1bbe52ab50
    Date and Time: 4/4/2010 2:02:35 PM

This happened when we tried to create 49th DateTime field(excluding created/modified) in a list. We were able to create 48 DateTime columns without any problem but received "Column Limit exceeded" error after that. We were also able to create just 96 boolean fields in a list in SharePoint 2010.

In MOSS, AFAIK, there is no hard limit on the number of columns in a list and I was able to create following number of fields in a list without any problem

• 500 DateTime field
    • 500 boolean fields

So does SharePoint 2010 has these column limit ? Anyone else encountered this problem ?

Sandeep Nakarmi
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 9:41 AM

Answers

• If I am looking in my old notes from Ignite correctly.  A List can only span 6 table rows and there are only 64 columns in the underlying table.  This means you can have 64*6=384 columns.  Of course, I could have this completely wrong but that is what was in my notes.  Hopefully someone can confirm.
    Corey Roth blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth
    Monday, April 05, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Hi Sandeep,

There is a default limit in SharePoint 2010, and it follows along from what Corey mentioned. A list can span 6 table rows by default; 8 of those columns per-row can be DateTime columns, and 16 per-row can be Boolean, resulting in the limits of 6x8 DateTime and 6x16 Boolean that you've been seeing.

The Farm Admin does have the ability to increase this limit incrementally by allowing the list item to span more table rows, but this really isn't recommended in general, as it might impact performance in your environment. (I'd also echo Wes' question at this point, as far as exploring whether there might be a better way before upping those limits, especially for the sake of maintaining good performance.)

I hope that helps. There will be a document published shortly that will go into more detail on this, in terms of limits per-column-type.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:17 AM

All replies

• Sandeep,

The latest version that is publicly supported is the public Beta of 2010.  If you have obtained and are using later versions of the software prior to RTM, you may want to check with whatever support/community options you have in that area.  (TAP, Connect, etc...)

As for the limitations of columns, I don't have an answer for you - don't remember hearing of any, but I'll check my notes and reply if I find anything. 

My question for you is WHY?  What are you trying to do that takes 500 or more fields?  There might be a better way to design a solution. 

Wes

Sunday, April 04, 2010 7:40 PM
  • Hi Wes,

Thanks for your suggestion. I haven't checked it in beta 2010 but will do that soon.

As for your question, we were just testing our product in SharePoint 2010 in the course of supporting it. Basically we were able to create same number of fields in a list in MOSS and when migrating it to SharePoint2010 RC, we encountered this problem. So just wanted to know if there are any known limits or not.

Sandeep Nakarmi
    Monday, April 05, 2010 5:15 AM
  • If I am looking in my old notes from Ignite correctly.  A List can only span 6 table rows and there are only 64 columns in the underlying table.  This means you can have 64*6=384 columns.  Of course, I could have this completely wrong but that is what was in my notes.  Hopefully someone can confirm.
    Corey Roth blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth
    Monday, April 05, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Hi Sandeep,

There is a default limit in SharePoint 2010, and it follows along from what Corey mentioned. A list can span 6 table rows by default; 8 of those columns per-row can be DateTime columns, and 16 per-row can be Boolean, resulting in the limits of 6x8 DateTime and 6x16 Boolean that you've been seeing.

The Farm Admin does have the ability to increase this limit incrementally by allowing the list item to span more table rows, but this really isn't recommended in general, as it might impact performance in your environment. (I'd also echo Wes' question at this point, as far as exploring whether there might be a better way before upping those limits, especially for the sake of maintaining good performance.)

I hope that helps. There will be a document published shortly that will go into more detail on this, in terms of limits per-column-type.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:17 AM
  • Thank you Corey and Jeff. That's what i wanted to know.

Sandeep Nakarmi
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 2:08 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

You said "I hope that helps. There will be a document published shortly that will go into more detail on this, in terms of limits per-column-type."

Has this document been posted yet?

Thanks,

Russell

Russell
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 1:48 AM
  • To fix the error you have to increase the Row Wrapping Limit. You can do this through PowerShell:

$siteURL = “http://~webapp~”

$webApp = Get-SPWebApplication $siteURL  

$webApp.MaxListItemRowStorage = 8(by default is 6)

$webApp.Update()

Genc VOJKA
    • Proposed as answer by Genc Vojka Friday, August 12, 2011 1:57 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Jeff

Any updates on the document that would go into more details on this issue?

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Hi,

can you please check the documents here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787.aspx#Column

we can also set the limit by Object model as well

MaxListItemRowStorage

SPWebApplication.MaxListItemRowStorage Property

Krishana Kumar http://mosstechnet-kk.com
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:48 AM
  • Hi Genc Vojka,

I'm sorry but I have not clear where I could insert the powershell code you indicated in this note.

Could you please give me an idea in order to increase the row wrapping limit in a list because I need to add more columns and I received the error message "column limit exceeded"?

Many thanks in advance.

Joe Pamel

Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:59 PM