none
Restore-SPSite - The site collection could not be restored. If this problem persists, please make sure the content databases are available and have sufficient free space

Answers

• You've already revealed the method -- restore to a new content database.

To my knowledge this is a bug with SharePoint (though I don't know whether there are plans to fix it or not). Modifying the content database to remove the references is unsupported so that's not an option. In theory the undocumented deleteconfigurationobject stsadm operation could remove the references but for this you would need to know the GUID of the site collection and also the GUID (I don't know what these would be) of any other references that remain in the farm.

That command is undocumented for a reason -- if you delete the wrong thing you'll break your farm and probably put it into an unsupported state.

EDIT: As Trevor rightly points out don't run the deleteconfigurationobject unless Microsoft is advising you to do so. To clarify I was suggesting that this tool would be the most likely way of removing the references but since there's no supported way to determine these references it's best to leave the site collection in the new database. 

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

• Proposed as answer by MaartenSundman Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by etala Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:35 PM
    • Edited by Jason WarrenMVP Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:42 PM removed link to deleteconfigurationobject since it would only tempt visitors to click it
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:58 PM

All replies

• You've already revealed the method -- restore to a new content database.

To my knowledge this is a bug with SharePoint (though I don't know whether there are plans to fix it or not). Modifying the content database to remove the references is unsupported so that's not an option. In theory the undocumented deleteconfigurationobject stsadm operation could remove the references but for this you would need to know the GUID of the site collection and also the GUID (I don't know what these would be) of any other references that remain in the farm.

That command is undocumented for a reason -- if you delete the wrong thing you'll break your farm and probably put it into an unsupported state.

EDIT: As Trevor rightly points out don't run the deleteconfigurationobject unless Microsoft is advising you to do so. To clarify I was suggesting that this tool would be the most likely way of removing the references but since there's no supported way to determine these references it's best to leave the site collection in the new database. 

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

• Proposed as answer by MaartenSundman Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by etala Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:35 PM
    • Edited by Jason WarrenMVP Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:42 PM removed link to deleteconfigurationobject since it would only tempt visitors to click it
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Deleteconfigurationobject can only be used at the direction of PSS or the PG if you want your database to remain in a supported state.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:19 PM
  • That's a good point Trevor. I'm going to rethink being so cavalier about suggesting the use of deleteconfigurationobject.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:16 PM
  • By the way, I'm working on a PSS case right now and explicitly asked to use deleteconfigurationobject, the response, in part was (quoting from PSS):

"After discussing with my TL, I confirm that It is not possible to run this command (stsadm –o deleteconfigurationobject ) at this point of time as it requires product group approval.

Also, it could lead to farm down situation if ran incorrectly."

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:19 PM
  • Many thanks for the replies chaps.

So really from a practical level you've got one chance to restore and after that you're looking at a new Content DB.

Mmmmm - Oh well, live and learn :-)

Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:34 PM