none
Aggregate Documents from Subsite to the Parent Site in Sharepoint 2010

Question

• Hi Experts,

I would like to aggregate the documents from subsites to the parent site. I have tried using CQWP, but it does show only the content of the documents which is not really necesary and not showing the actual document library which am loooking for. I even tried using Data viewer webpart it shows the document details but it doesnt link me to the subsites.  I have tried the Site aggregator webpart, it does fill my requirement to some extent and am not able to play around it.

What I look for is a simple page which should show all the documents across subsites into a single page as a single or multiple webpart but but append one below other

Thanks

Priya

Thursday, November 01, 2012 4:54 PM

Answers

• Found the resolution from a video, and it exactly worked like i expected.

1. Open the Source document Site in designer.

2. Click on 'List and Libraries'

3. Open that particular document.

4. Click on 'All documents' from right top.

5. Now click on the document library webpart

6. Click on the 'WebPart' tab on the top

7. Click on 'To File'

8. Save the document in Local system.

9. There will be a pop-up. Say Yes (it will Sync the Target and Source document Library)

10. Close Sharpeoit Designer

11. Go to the Target Site -> Add a webpart

12. Upload this locally saved webpart "twice".

13. Then the webpart will be found in 'Imported Webpart.

14. Add that webpart. Thats it.

• Marked as answer by RamPriya Monday, November 05, 2012 3:44 PM
    Monday, November 05, 2012 3:44 PM

All replies

• You can display documents using a Cross-Site SPDataSource and display them with either a CQWP or DataFormWebPart, but it sounds like you are unhappy with the resultant UI.  This UI can be tweaked by providing a custom XSL file to the web part, but that can be a daunting task for a back-end developer or power user.

Considering that this is the Development & Programming forum, I'll provide some thoughts on how to go about it without requiring extensive use of HTML/CSS.  I'd recommend leveraging multiple ListViewWebParts that are provisioned to whatever page through the SPListEventReceiver.ListAdded method.  This will allow you to dynamically create new ListViewWebParts as new lists are added to the site collection.  If you need to also handle pre-existing lists, I'd recommend creating a powershell script, or simple console application, that will provision these web parts for you.

In order to provision web parts, you will need to leverage the SPLimitedWebPartManager class, and programmatically configure SPListViewWebPart instances.

Friday, November 02, 2012 1:10 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Adam.

Can you pelase elaborate them in steps?.. I am not femiliar in XSL or Powersheel. Anything that I need to change through Sharepont designer then that would be great.

But As of now, What I get through Site Aggregator is the one below -

THe Trust 1,2,3 are subsites and on clicking those links it will display the documents from each subsite. THats what exactly I was looking for. But there are 2 disadvantages in this now - 1) I can see docuemnts creted by myself only 2) THe cross(X) buttons next to the site name is so threatening that accidently if i close then that particualr site view is disappering from the webpart.

Please help. Many thanks

• Edited by RamPriya Friday, November 02, 2012 3:21 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RamPriya Monday, November 05, 2012 3:44 PM
    Friday, November 02, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Found the resolution from a video, and it exactly worked like i expected.

1. Open the Source document Site in designer.

2. Click on 'List and Libraries'

3. Open that particular document.

4. Click on 'All documents' from right top.

5. Now click on the document library webpart

6. Click on the 'WebPart' tab on the top

7. Click on 'To File'

8. Save the document in Local system.

9. There will be a pop-up. Say Yes (it will Sync the Target and Source document Library)

10. Close Sharpeoit Designer

11. Go to the Target Site -> Add a webpart

12. Upload this locally saved webpart "twice".

13. Then the webpart will be found in 'Imported Webpart.

14. Add that webpart. Thats it.

Monday, November 05, 2012 3:44 PM