none
Export to Excel filtered List

Question

• Have searched high and low on this one, and dont think Im going to be lucky - but personally I cant believe it isnt possible!

I just created a 5000 row by 70 odd column custom list of information (previously contain in a legacy app) allowing the users to quickly filter down to what they are looking for (sometimes 10 rows, sometimes 50, every time new different filter) just by using the std column filters. Tops!

Showed everyone - they are happy - was just about to roll - then I tried the export to Excel button (a req'd feature) - AND never for the life of me thought this would not contain the filtered data - but the entire list!! I freaked out - whats the advantage of a Sharepoint list vs native Excel filter?

Surely there is someway that this can be achieved, that once the user has done their filtering they can export / save to Excel (text/csv anything!) the results?

Looking for any advise, help, pointers, or suggestions - I have about 8 more of these to do and cant believe I have to go back to my boss and say they have to do it in Excel - he'll think Im an idiot (maybe I am!)

Thanks for your help,

Aaron
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:17 AM

All replies

• Aaron, I am having exactly the same problems so wondered if you found any solutions?

I have found one rather ackward work around which requires setting up a view instead of using filters and then exporting from the view. This seems to work but I agree that the functionality shouldallow this from the filters.

Any further news welcomed.

Richard
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 2:06 PM
  • And 2 years later I am asking the same question....please, please, please say it isn't that there is no way aroudn this problem?!
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:50 PM
  • I had a similar problem some time ago. It looks like this is behavior by design i.e. Export to Excel action ignores the filters and always exports a complete view.

More or less solution to this could be creating a custom view with filters (not dynamic filters, but filters specified in definition of view). Suppose you are using this for reporting just create a couple of custom views (reports) and use Export to Excel on them.

Regards,

Tofig

• Proposed as answer by Tofig Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:46 AM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:47 AM Moderator Note added
    • Edited by Tofig Monday, June 18, 2012 11:30 AM
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:37 AM
  • I wasn't able to solve this problem without doing custom development using the Open XML SDK.  I did post a sample solution and some minor details on my blog here: http://www.jonathanpmast.com/blog/Exporting-SharePoint-Data-to-Excel-using-Open-XML-SDK-20

Its not a super-trivial solution and it requires deployment of the solution to the farm and installation of the Open Office XML SDK to your server.  Definitely let me know if it helps or I can provide any additional assistance.

Jonathan Mast | SharePoint911
    blog
    twitter: @jonathanpmast
    • Edited by Jonathan Mast Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:59 PM fixed the link... guess my blog rewrite rules aren't working :(
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Three years later I'm asking the same question. Would Microsoft have the courtesy to explain why this behavior was selected as the only option when exporting a filtered list to Excel, and whether they plan to improve it by providing another option to export only the results of the filter(s)?
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 9:23 PM
  • 1 Year later.. SP2010 ?
    Wednesday, October 03, 2012 2:35 PM
  • MS,

The solution sample I posted should work in 2010 as well as it is all based on the Office SDK.  As far as I know there's not been any replacements out of the box to satisfy the original requirement.  I believe there may be coming a different way to solve this use case using javascript and the Office Web Application's APIs... but that stuff is all to be determined.

Jonathan Mast
    Senior SharePoint Consultant | SharePoint 911, a Rackspace Company: SharePoint Consulting
    Blog: www.jonathanpmast.com/blog
    Twitter: @jonathanpmast

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 7:37 PM
  • You can also try this solution which requires a bit knowledge of data view, jquery, and SharePoint development. http://nazishqasim.wordpress.com/exporting-sharepoint-filtered-list-data-to-excelcsv-using-data-view-web-part-jquery-and-net/
    Tuesday, June 04, 2013 10:56 AM