none
Customize SharePoint 2010 Calendar Integration with Outlook

Question

• Hello,

I am evaluating SharePoint 2010 for an enterprise calendaring solution.  The ability to view and manipulate SharePoint calendars with Outlook is a very attractive feature for many of my users.  This is working excellent for basic calendar events.  However, when I use more advanced features with SP Calendars, I observe some issues with the integration to Outlook.

If I enable Draft Item Security with workflow on my events, I wind up with several calendar event items that have a "pending" status.  When I view the SharePoint calendar with someone who isn't the creator or approver, the SharePoint calendar hides these events - as expected.  However, when I click the "Connect to Outlook" button in SharePoint, I see all of my events.  This was not expected.

Is there a way to restrict the SharePoint events that are shown in Outlook when using the SharePoint to Outlook integration?

I am using SharePoint 2010 Beta 2 and Outlook 2010 Beta 1.

Friday, December 18, 2009 5:22 PM

Answers

• DKnauf,

I see you are still active on the forums. There are many third party calendars that are much more powerful than the OOTB sharepoint integration with outlook. We played with the OOTB sharepoint calendar but quickly dismissed it as too simple for enterprise use. Bamboo is one product we liked, but there are many others as well.

Sparkytect
    MCITP SharePoint 2010
    MCPD SharePoint 2010
    MCT SharePoint 2010
    MCC SharePoint 2010
    SPForDummies.com

Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:58 PM

All replies

• I believe I had an issue with my configuration.  I was not being prompted for a username and password, hence I suspect my administrator credential was being passed with the SharePoint connection.  This was the same user that created the events pending approval.  I disabled the "Automatic login with current username and password" option in Internet explorer, and now the list behaves as expected.

However, I would still like to know how I can customize the integration between Outlook and SharePoint 2010.  I am interested in creating views for users, and I would like only the events from the view to appear in Outlook when the user clicks the Connect to Outlook button.  Similarly, I would like to overlay multiple calendars for the user, and when connecting to Outlook, all events in the overlay (or each of the calendars) will appear in Outlook.

Is this possible with a configuration change or does this require custom development?
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:33 PM
  • DKnauf,

I see you are still active on the forums. There are many third party calendars that are much more powerful than the OOTB sharepoint integration with outlook. We played with the OOTB sharepoint calendar but quickly dismissed it as too simple for enterprise use. Bamboo is one product we liked, but there are many others as well.

Sparkytect
    MCITP SharePoint 2010
    MCPD SharePoint 2010
    MCT SharePoint 2010
    MCC SharePoint 2010
    SPForDummies.com

Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:58 PM