none
Workflow for reminder on end date document

Question

• Hi,

I am completely stuck with designing a workflow. The following case applies:

I have a document library called 'Manuals'. The library has the columns 'End date', 'Owner' and 'Manager'. The Manager and Owner need to receive three notifications:

1) notification 3 months before the end date
    2) notification 1 month before the end date
    3) notification 2 weeks before the end date

I created three additional columns 'WFReminder1', 'WFReminder2' and 'WFReminder3', These columns are calculated and are related to the notifications so 'WFReminder1' has the date three months before the 'End Date'.

I created the following workflow in SharePoint Designer:

Step1:

Wait until WFReminder1 equals today
    then e-mail owner and manager

Step2:

If WFReminder2 does not equals today
      Wait until WFReminder2 equals today

Or if WFReminder2 does equals today

Step3:

If WFReminder3 does not equals today
      Wait until WFReminder3 equals today

Or if WFReminder3 does equals today

The workflow is set to run when an item is created. The problem occurs when the item is edited and the End Date is moved. The workflow does not adjust to the new reminder date. I have no idea how to reschedule the WF to the new date.

Thanks a million for the help
    J

Blog: www.jasperoosterveld.com Twitter: @JasITConsultant

Thursday, March 01, 2012 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Jasper

add the workflow also when an item is changed

This way the new wkf will 'kill' the old one already started for that item ( which are waiting for wrong date )and the reminder will be send as you need

Regrads

Romeo

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCTS, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Hi,

I changed the settings of the workflow so it also starts when an item is edited but there is no new instance started of the workflow. It is still waiting at the first end date.

I was looking on the net and found this:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/create-a-secondary-workflow-HA010237656.aspx

It gives a nice description how to create an additional workflow that monitors the due dates of the tasks. But there is also this statement:

If the due date is changed while the workflow is paused, this change has no effect on the workflow.

That is my case! I found this blog:

http://blog.qumsieh.ca/2012/01/27/sharepoint-designer-workflow-pause-until-date-change/

Seems there is only a custom solution for this?

Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Another solution

remove all these workflows

Add a new field to your list COL_REF, with an initial value=0

Create a task using powershell, which will parse your list and will check if

WFReminder1 or 2 or 3 equal Today()

If wfreminder1=today replace COL_REF with 1

wfreminder2=today replace COL_REF with 2

wfreminder3=today replace COL_REF with 3

Schedule this script every day.

Last step, add a workflow to your list, which will start only when an item is changed

If COL_REf=1, will send email as you whish,   and so on

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCTS, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Unfortunately I am using SP Online 2010 so no powershell at the moment.

Friday, March 02, 2012 7:01 AM