none
How Related Sites scope works?

Question

• In Site Administration, there is one link "Related Links scope settings" which allows users to add the related site urls into the scope.I added the link and tried to search with the "Related Sites" scope.As a result i was not able to view any page in the browser becoz the url seems to be incorrect(http://<sitecollection>/sitepages/<guid>?k={searchTerm}). Then i tried to analyze the database where scopes get stored, i found that scope name was guid which was also present in the url and filter  applied to that scope was the FQL (path:startswith(<url>)).

Here I want to know that how "Related Sites" scope works and what other sites can be added into that scope like(any site may be a sharepoint site or any other website OR any site that is avialabe in same farm OR any site i.e. avialable in same webapplication OR any site i.e avialabe in same site collection).

Any Help would be appreciated.

Friday, August 19, 2011 5:30 AM

All replies

• Related Links Scope Settings— Allows the administrator to add URLs that will be part of “This and Related Sites” search scope.

If you were to browse to the "Related Links scope settings" within a site and add an addtional search scope, based on another URL, like http://microsoft.com, and then re-compile your scopes manually or let the SSP scope compilation complete automatically (every 15 minutes by default). When you go back to the home page your site, you should see a "Related Sites" search scope in the drop down.

Regards, Dharnendra Shah "strong belief is the only way to success"
    Friday, August 19, 2011 6:00 AM
  • Hello,

Related links scope settings: Provides sites to be included with the “This and Related Sites” scope of the search results for this site.

This is a feature enabled to provide site collection administrators ability to add specified site URLs to be included in search scopes used for site search feature

Per the description provided in SharePoint:
    Description:
    Sites in the scope
    These sites are part of "This and Related Sites" search scope. Select sites to add or remove from the scope. You can choose to add any sites here. Sites linked to a specific item, like default.aspx or test.doc etc. are not included in the search scope. 

Currently no technet documentation on “Related links scope settings” exists other than what is posted in SharePoint.

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:00 PM