Please someone get me out of this mess

Question

• Hello all,

I am new to Sharepoint but have spent a ton of time on this the past 3 weeks. I have gotten one W2K3 Server running with Sharepoint but even that one has issues i.e. I cannot get rid of the search service event log entries that correspond to the gatherer service Event ID: 2424. The 2 new Servers I have installed and configured just do not want to work. When I go into the admin console I immediately get a login box to which I input a domain account with admin priviliges and the login box keeps popping up many times until it finally will stop and display the page I want to see. Then when I click any other link the same scenario happens all over again????? Why is this happening???? I did not do anything different with this install that I did on a clean install of Server 2003 at home with no other apps installed and I do not have the login box problem at home????  I am probably missing something here in the config but damn if I can figure it out. I have read so many docs about this my eyes are ready to fall out. Please somebody with more experience on this help me out I will be indebted to you for life.

Friday, January 12, 2007 5:10 AM

Answers

• Hello,

With regards to the Event ID:2424 issue you are experiencing, please refer to the following support post  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927012   "This issue occurs when the service account for the Windows SharePoint Services Search service is configured to use the Network Service account. The search service account must not use a built-in account to access the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 database. An example of a built-in account is the Local Service account or the Network Service account."

Once you have cleared this we can proceed to your other issues if they still exist.

Saturday, January 13, 2007 11:48 PM

All replies

• Hello,

With regards to the Event ID:2424 issue you are experiencing, please refer to the following support post  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927012   "This issue occurs when the service account for the Windows SharePoint Services Search service is configured to use the Network Service account. The search service account must not use a built-in account to access the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 database. An example of a built-in account is the Local Service account or the Network Service account."

Once you have cleared this we can proceed to your other issues if they still exist.

Saturday, January 13, 2007 11:48 PM
  • Hi,

I have same problem with my WSS installation on windows 2003 SP1. When I try to login on admin console "Start > Administrative tools > Sharepoint 3.0 Central Administration", I must login many times until wss display page. And each page I want to see I must relog many times.

I did an wss 3.0 installation last week with windows 2003 without SP1 and I had not this problem.

On this installation with SP1, I had a first problem with DCOM error (
    The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation
    permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {A9E69610-B80D-11D0-B9B9-00A0C922E750}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20). 
    This security permission can be modified using the
    Component Services administrative tool.
    ) but I corrected with this -> http://blog.angrypets.com/2005/08/iis_6_vs_2005_a.html

Do you know why I can do to correct loggin problem ? Or do you know if I must install windows 2003 without SP1 ?

Julien

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 4:34 PM
  • Not sure but I would attempt to log in with the System account and see if it exibits the same behavior... I have never run accross this in any of my implementations or upgrades up to this point though....
    Tuesday, January 23, 2007 4:40 PM
  • Hi Bob,

When I log in WSS admin console, I use local machine administrator account. And I  don't use  AD domain.

Is somebody install wss 3.0 on windows 2003 sp1 ?

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 5:37 PM
  • I was able to resolve this issue by

1. Create an account that has log in as a service right for the search service.
    2. Log in to the server with the Central Admin front end as this account.
    3. Open up central admin, go to services on server (operations tab).
    4. Stop and delete the search service information.
    5. Start the search service, configure it to use a new database and use the account you are logged into the computer as.

Best of luck!

Jesse

Thursday, February 01, 2007 5:15 PM