Cannot "Save As" directly to Sharepoint site with Excel 2010

Question

• I am unable to ''Save As'' an open Excel workbook directly to a Sharepoint site in Excel 2010. Using Office 2003 or 2007, when you open an Excel workbook and chose Save As, the save location would be the sharepoint site. In Excel 2010, it points back to the local c: drive and there is no way get the sharepoint site in the Save As window.

Works using: Windows XP SP3, Excel 2003, IE 6,7, or 8, WSS 2.0 & 3.0

Works using: Windows XP SP3, Excel 2007, IE 6,7, or 8, WSS 2.0 & 3.0

Works using: Windows 7, Excel 2003, IE 8

Does not work: Windows 7, Excel 2010 , IE 8

Thank You

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, March 28, 2011 1:11 PM Excel+SP not Excel Services so Admin is the correct forum for it (From:SharePoint - Excel Services (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 2:08 PM

Answers

• Hi mitchkas,

Thanks for sharing your problem.

Please copy the site URL to the File name Text Box in the Save as window. It would be able to the SharePoint site location.

Hope it helps.

Best regards. Emir
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:28 PM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:44 AM

All replies

• Hi mitchkas,

Thanks for sharing your problem.

Please copy the site URL to the File name Text Box in the Save as window. It would be able to the SharePoint site location.

Hope it helps.

Best regards. Emir
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:28 PM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:44 AM
  • Thank You, that did work and the file saved.

I want to figure out why the default Save As location points to the local drive when an Excel workbook is opened on Sharepoint. It's only in Excel 2010 for some reason and I'd like to have that functionality restored, seems pretty reasonable

Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Not sure why the recommendation was marked as an answer because I said that the functionality is not the same.

When I open an excel workbook and go to Save & Send -> Save to Sharepoint -> Save As ... I am prompted with two login windows to log into the Intranet. After entering my credentials twice, Excel points back to the desktop as the default location, even though a workbook is opened directly from the Intranet.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:06 PM
  • > Not sure why the recommendation was marked as an answer because I said that the functionality is not the same.

You wrote

"Thank You, that did work and the file saved."

This was the first paragraph in your reply and was a clear indication to me that the previous post answered your question so I marked it.

(New additional questions - i.e different questions to "I want to use Save As .." which was solved as you said yourself  go to a new thread)

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Monday, March 28, 2011 1:08 PM