none
Sharepoint search result not showing up individual record in contact list

Question

• Hi ,

One of our user is having  wierd issue with Sharepoint 2010 Search on contact list . The contact list contains humdreads of records and several column such as Last name , first name etc.. with last name and 2-3 other columns being set as required column. When I search for a particular record   with last name e.g manning,  the search result does not show direct access to his contact record but it shows name of the lists the contact is in as below

1-5 of 5 results

Shared Contacts

signed up for the open house … abc@gmail.com …10.12.11: sent final email … Signed up for 10/12 info session … 10/13/11: attended last …

https://abc.com/sitecollection/Lists/contacts/AllItems.aspx - 6/1/2012

However If i search for another record with last name e.g barry, the search result does show up direct access to his Contact record

1-4 of 4 results
    Barry
    Has barry  started his application ? he  indicated that might fit his schedule.…

https://abc.com/sitecollection/Lists/contacts/DispForm.aspx?ID=xxxx  -   started application

Any idea how to get serach result to show up individual record ?  I am not indexing any columns on the list .

Thanks

mp

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:38 PM

All replies

• Has a crawl has run since that record was added?
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 5:26 PM
  • yes it has , also i did run a full crawl again but gives same results . I also noticed Crawl log showing error on this list. "The SharePoint item being crawled returned an error when requesting data from the web service. ( Error from SharePoint site: Length cannot be less than zero. Parameter name: length ) However this doesn't explain why i get search result for one record and not for other .

Thanks

mp

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Another interesting update ... If i go to list , select item > edit item which will open the item , then just hit SAVE  whcih will save the list item without making any changes . NOw if i run incremental crawl , then search for the record it does show me direct access to his contact record in the results. The list in question containns around 2000 items . So i created a Test column and then using powershell populated this TEST field for each record which  theorotically made changes to record  . Run full crawl , then search for records but it didn't work i.e the search result does not show direct access to his contact record but it shows name of the lists the contact is in .

So only way is to edit each item then save whicg will make it appear in search result . Any idea whats going on ? or may be a way to update list items without making any change.

Thanks

mp

Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:32 PM
  • Hi,

Did you find the solution to this problem.  I am having the same issue.

Regards

Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:27 PM