none
missing views dropdown on list view web part.

Question

• I asked this before, and it got moved to "admin" with no replies.  I really need to know this.  I think it may be appropriate for design and customization, because I think that's what the solution may require.  It doesn't appear to be an "admin" issue.

Any help will be gratefully received.  I am very frustrated by this.  The  "View:" dropdown list on the right side of the list view web part for my document libraries is not available.  The truly weird thing is that in a few cases, it is there, but I can't tell any difference between those web parts or DLs and the ones without the views drop-down.  I have defined several public views for each document library. There are no "closed" web parts on the page (which was one suggestion I got).

I can't figure out why the views menu sometimes appears and sometimes does not, when there appears to be no way to control it. Can anyone enlighten me or suggest how I can make it appear?  My users are threatening to demand a separate web part for each view (there are hundreds).  I may have trouble using SPD on the client's site.

viewmenu
    Tuesday, November 04, 2008 2:24 PM

Answers

• I also have the same problem: no View-dropdown in the toolbar.

We are running WSS 3.0 and a user reported that when editing a page he deleted a list Web Part by accident. When he re-added the Web Part to the page with a full toolbar the View-dropdown was not visible. I reconstructed the situation and this indeed seems to be the case. Deleting the list and restoring it from the Recycle Bin seems to cause the same problem.

Are there any ideas how we can fix this?

Edit:
    Only 15 minutes after posting the question I stumbled on the answer: http://www.sharepointology.com/setup/dropdown-to-change-the-view-disappeared/
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:47 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please tell me if you edited the document library web part in SharePoint Designer?

If so, open the list view web part in SharePoint Designer, and convert to XSLT data view to see if the “ViewSelectorMenu” is here. If it is not here, try to add this SharePoint menu: “SharePoint:ViewSelectorMenu”.

Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Thursday, November 06, 2008 6:20 AM

All replies

• Any help will be gratefully received.  I am very frustrated by this.  The  "View:" dropdown list on the right side of the list view web part for my document libraries is not available.  The truly weird thing is that in a few cases, it is there, but I can't tell any difference between those web parts or DLs and the ones without the views drop-down.  I have defined several public views for each document library. There are no "closed" web parts on the page (which was one suggestion I got).

I can't figure out why the views menu sometimes appears and sometimes does not, when there appears to be no way to control it. Can anyone enlighten me?  My users are threatening to demand a separate web part for each view (there are hundreds).

• Edited by Harry Poulter Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:57 PM
    • Merged by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, April 13, 2009 4:59 AM same poster; original post
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:56 PM
  • (I asked this before but I didn't get any replies.  I am really puzzled by this, and it is killing my application.  If I am missing something obvious or doing something stupid, I'd like to know that, too. )

Any help will be gratefully received.  I am very frustrated by this.  The  "View:" dropdown list on the right side of the list view web part for my document libraries is not available.  The truly weird thing is that in a few cases, it is there, but I can't tell any difference between those web parts or DLs and the ones without the views drop-down.  I have defined several public views for each document library. There are no "closed" web parts on the page (which was one suggestion I got).

I can't figure out why the views menu sometimes appears and sometimes does not, when there appears to be no way to control it. Can anyone enlighten me?  My users are threatening to demand a separate web part for each view (there are
    hundreds).

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, November 03, 2008 12:31 PM admin question (Moved from SharePoint - Design and Customization to SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation)
    • Merged by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, April 13, 2009 4:57 AM same question same poster earlier question had a reply
    Monday, November 03, 2008 12:06 PM
  • Moving to Admin.
    Monday, November 03, 2008 12:30 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I can see the issue in my test environment and I think it is by design behavior.

The difference between two web parts is how the web parts come from.

the one you can select views is the default web part in the views of the document libraries / lists

the one you cannot select views is the list web part you added manually.

If you open the web part page in the SharePoint Designer, and Convert to XSLT view, you will see the View Selector Menu is a SharePoint control.

If you changed the views in the View Selector Menu, it will simply navigate to the view page file (AllItem.aspx, etc.)

That does not make sense if you can select it in the web part (it won’t change views in web parts but change the view pages), so I think this is a design behavior we hide it.

For your issue, I don't know why there are hundreds of views, I suppose they are public views.

If so, I suggest you to let user create and maintain their personal views instead of create so many public views.

-lambert

Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008 2:34 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please tell me if you edited the document library web part in SharePoint Designer?

If so, open the list view web part in SharePoint Designer, and convert to XSLT data view to see if the “ViewSelectorMenu” is here. If it is not here, try to add this SharePoint menu: “SharePoint:ViewSelectorMenu”.

Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Thursday, November 06, 2008 6:20 AM
  • Hi Xue-Mei,

I am having the same issues on my WSS 3.0 list. As you suggested, I did open the list in SPD and converted to XSLT data view and, I *do* see the drop-down there. How do I get this drop-down to show on the normal page view?
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 7:30 PM
  • We have a MOSS 2007 install where we are seeing the same exact issue as mentioned above. We have about 4 instances where we have lists with views where we can see the Actions Toolbar (ie. New, Upload, Actions, Settings) but no View dropdown where it should be. One user reported that this started happening after they had deleted the document library and then restored it from the Recycle Bin.

No one in our evrionment is using SP Designer against any of these lists or libraries.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Derek
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:31 PM
  • I have a WSS 3.0 client site that wants visitors to have read only access to a list. Not a problem and have set this up OK. But..

They needed the visitor to view the list on a seperate page. No problem I thought and added the list using the list web part.

Now this list has some public views that all visitors and contributers will want to use.

Trouble is that the list web part I have created is missing the View drop down from the menu bar. This is essential navigation. How can we have a list that does not facilitate view selection?!!!!

Regards

Peter
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:09 PM
  • I also have the same problem: no View-dropdown in the toolbar.

We are running WSS 3.0 and a user reported that when editing a page he deleted a list Web Part by accident. When he re-added the Web Part to the page with a full toolbar the View-dropdown was not visible. I reconstructed the situation and this indeed seems to be the case. Deleting the list and restoring it from the Recycle Bin seems to cause the same problem.

Are there any ideas how we can fix this?

Edit:
    Only 15 minutes after posting the question I stumbled on the answer: http://www.sharepointology.com/setup/dropdown-to-change-the-view-disappeared/
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:47 AM
  • Mark.. Thank YOU!! That worked for us! I appreciate your response back to the group. I would mark your posting as the answer but I dont see how to do that. I did vote for it as being helpful though.

Thanks again,
    Derek
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 2:07 PM
  • That works if the Web Part was Closed, but does not help if the user deleted the Web Part. 

After some digging around in SharePoint Designer and in SharePoint itself, I have a solution for restoring the View dropdown after the out-of-the-box List View Web Part has been deleted.  This solution can be accomplished without SharePoint Designer if you are working with a library, but to clean out the views from a list, you will need SharePoint Designer.  I am doing this in MOSS 2007 SP1, but it should work for WSS 3.0 as well.

For this example, I am using a document library called Public Documents and my View is allitems.aspx, but this should work for any list or library. 

Here are the steps for bringing back the View dropdown:

1.       Navigate to the list or library that is missing the View dropdown

2.       Go to Site Actions > Edit Page > Add a Web Part .  In the Lists and Libraries section, check the box next to the Public Documents library and click the Add button.

3.       Within the new Web Part, go to edit > Modify Shared Web Part and change the Toolbar Type to “Full Toolbar”.  Click the OK button.

4.       Click the link to Exit Edit Mode and you should have the Full Toolbar for the list/library displayed, but it is still missing the View dropdown menu. 

5.       Go to Settings > Create View .

6.       Choose Standard View .

7.       Name the view, check the “Make this the default view” box, select the columns to include, and click the OK button.

8.       Voila, the View dropdown menu is back on the site.

9.       To completely clean it up, for a list, open in SharePoint Designer and delete the allitems.aspx view from the Forms folder.  For a library, you can go to the Actions menu and select Open with Windows Explorer .  Open the Forms folder (you may need to show hidden files to see this folder) and delete the allitems.aspx view.  If you do not have access to SharePoint Designer and you are working in a list, you will need to delete the link on the Quick Launch and add again to point to your new view name.

10.   If the View you deleted was the default for the list or library, it may remove the link from the Quick Launch.  It can be added again by going to View All Site Content , selecting the appropriate list or library, going into its Settings menu, and modifying the Title, description and navigation settings to show on the Quick Launch.

• Proposed as answer by arloswak Monday, June 22, 2009 7:22 PM
    • Edited by arloswak Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:07 PM clarifying
    Monday, June 22, 2009 6:17 PM
  • I think an easier way to go to fix this.

Open the document library / List > edit page & close the current web part and re-add the same from closed web parts instead of a new web part, by clicking on Advance web part gallerly.

Hope this one helps as It has worked for me.... :)
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:36 PM
  • That works if the Web Part was just Closed, but not if it was deleted.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 8:35 PM
  • Thanks for that link, Mark :)
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 7:51 AM
  • I know you posted this a year ago. But I just have to say beautiful response!
    Friday, June 18, 2010 4:30 AM
  • Hm, i'm facing this issue now. When adding a List View WebPart to a page, hence NOT editing the List's view pages (e.g. AllItems.aspx). I can't seem to get the Views dropdown to show.

How to display the Views dropdown on a List View WebPart added to a custom page?

Thanks in advance!

Monday, July 02, 2012 2:28 PM
  • We had a similar issue.

We had created an HttpModule that screened all requests. As a test measure, we added a small <DIV> shim in the Application_EndRequest method, which put the invisible <DIV> at the end on the page, after the closing html tag.

Although the page looked fine, that <DIV> messed with the list view dropdowns, and other functionality across the farm.

Removing that <DIV> brought back the dropdowns.

Thursday, April 03, 2014 2:36 PM