none
Access Services – Can’t Export Report Data to Excel or Word

Question

•  BOTTOMLINE: Does anyone know of any fixes or workarounds to enable Access Services to export report data to Excel or Word as detailed below?

·          

PLEASE NOTE: I am talking about Access Services running under SharePoint; not client-side Access applications.

When a report is rendered on the web, there is an Actions button (at bottom left hand corner) which provides the options to print the report or export the report data to .pdf, Excel or Word (see first image). Printing works and exporting to .pdf  also works just fine.  However when you try to export to Excel you receive the message shown in the second image and when you click ‘Yes’ Excel opens up but there is no data.  When you try to export to Word, the application (Word) opens up but there is nothing in the file (i.e., a blank Word document).  In addition, export works fine when the user los in as administrator.

Based on a variety of web searches regarding this issue, it would appear that this was a known, unsolved problem way back at the end of 2010 (for example:  http://accesshosting.zendesk.com/entries/266484-exporting-report-data-to-ms-excel-or-ms-word)

Does anyone know how to get the exportation of report data to Excel and Word to work?

Friday, March 09, 2012 6:51 PM

All replies

• Hello mmtwtc,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Wayne Fan

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 12, 2012 10:14 AM
  • Thank you Wayne Fan.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Ask your administrator if Excel services have been configured on the server.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:21 PM
  • Yes, Excel services is configured on the server.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Did anyone find a solution for this?
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Hi mmtwtc,

Can you share which browser you're currently attempting the export with?  Can you test with granting the end user "Modify" rights on %WINDIR%\Temp to see if the export is then successful to Word and/or Excel?

Thanks!

Bob

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:57 PM
  • I'm using i.e.8.

I granted the end user "modify" on the temp directory, but the export still didn't work.

It only works when the user logs in using the admin username and pwd.

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Hi mmtwtc,

Thanks for trying that for me.  I haven't found any other indication of what the problem may be, nor a valid workaround for this issue, so what I would recommend is that you open a paid support case so that the team that supports Access Services can identify what the problem is in your specific scenario.  I'm sorry that I wasn't able to identify a solution for you.

Best Regards,

Bob

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:13 PM
  • I found this post recently, as I am having the same issue. Looks to be an issue with access to SQL:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/accessdev/thread/bdff4417-7d2c-4060-8baf-983510883cc0

Not sure what a good solution is though....

Erich O'Donnell | SharePoint Administrator

Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:43 PM