none
The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.

Question

• I've downloaded some of the sample apps for SharePoint 2013. After changing the site URL, I tried deploying the app to my SharePoint 2013 preview account.

After waiting a while (first uninstalling, then installing) the following error is thrown:

"The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found".

In the meantime, something did happen. The app was actually deployed in SharePoint. When I now try to open the app, it redirects to localhost which isn't started yet, with a page not found as a result (seems fair). So I manually start the local IISExpress instance; return to the app in SharePoint and try again: works.

So all the bits seem to be deployed ok, but somehow the debug process doesn't work quite right. It could have something to do with our proxy server, as I had some other problems with that too. But I tried setting it explicitely (as opposed to a config script), didn't help. Also; the requests are send out fine when I check with Fiddler. But one set of requests does seem to be recurrent a few times before failing.

Any ideas?

MCTS Web Application Development, SharePoint enthousiast.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:14 PM

Answers

• This appears to be a DNS-related issue. For on-premise deployments, Visual Studio modifies the hosts file to create an entry for the app's internet domain pointing back at the machine's address (which is resolved using DNS). This step is carried out even when DNS is properly configured to resolve the app domain (as is the case on Office 365). Some confguration on your intranet makes this DNS lookup to fail, but because you are using Office365, you can ignore the error.

In order for IIS to be started when debugging, you need to set both the App project and Web project as startup projects, with the web project starting first. This is achieved by clicking on the solution node in Solution Explorer and selecting "Set Startup projects...", "Multiple startup projects".

If you use the Deploy command (as opposed to Debug or Run), IIS Express will not start automatically. In Deploy scenarios, you typically use either a SharePoint-hosted or an auto-hosted app, neither of which needs IIS Express. 

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:32 PM

All replies

• Could you clarify where the error is being thrown?  Is it inside Visual Studio, or something you see on a SharePoint page?

Elisabeth Olson SharePoint PM - MSFT

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:28 PM
  • This appears to be a DNS-related issue. For on-premise deployments, Visual Studio modifies the hosts file to create an entry for the app's internet domain pointing back at the machine's address (which is resolved using DNS). This step is carried out even when DNS is properly configured to resolve the app domain (as is the case on Office 365). Some confguration on your intranet makes this DNS lookup to fail, but because you are using Office365, you can ignore the error.

In order for IIS to be started when debugging, you need to set both the App project and Web project as startup projects, with the web project starting first. This is achieved by clicking on the solution node in Solution Explorer and selecting "Set Startup projects...", "Multiple startup projects".

If you use the Deploy command (as opposed to Debug or Run), IIS Express will not start automatically. In Deploy scenarios, you typically use either a SharePoint-hosted or an auto-hosted app, neither of which needs IIS Express. 

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:32 PM