none
Sharepoint database connection to Oracle

Question

• Hi all,

I am trying to create a database connection for my DataView but I am having trouble connecting to an Oracle database from Sharepoint. I am using Sharepoint Designer, a Sharepoint 2007 server, and an Oracle 9 database.

I have attempted several methods and all fail.

1) Create a new database connection in Data Source Library.
    a.Select a custom connect string
    b. Select the OLE DB provider
    c. Enter the following custom connect string:
     c1. Data Source=MyDataSource;Persist Security Info=True;Password=MyPassword;User ID=SC_READ;Provider=MSDAORA.1
     I get the following error:
    "Server Error: An error occurred while retrieving the list of Databases from MyDataSource: The data retrieval service encountered an eror during connection to the data source."

I tried changing the custom connect string to use the Oracle OLE DB by using the following string:
     c2.Data Source=MyDataSource;Persist Security Info=True;Password=MyPassword;User ID=SC_READ;OLEDB.NET=True;Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle.1
    However I get the same error.

Not one to give up I tried using a SqlDataSource. So with that I:
    1) click configure connection:
    2) click the New Connection
    3) Select "Other" from the list and .NET OLE DB data provider from the provider drop down
    4) Select the Microsoft OLE DB provider for Oracle as the OLE DB provider and set the connect string per c1 above.

I successfully connect to the database and can see the data using the test query dialog. However when I attempt to look at the page in preview I get:
    "An error occurred during the processing of . Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.UI.WebParts, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

So this at least tells me that I can get to the database.

My requirement is to connect to the Oracel DB via a data source library - data connection so that I can use a dataview, but I have no idea what could be wrong with the connection. I've tried all kinds of connect options but none seem to work. Please help.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:12 PM dvwp question (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:53 PM

Answers

• Hi FireGrilled,

If you install Oracle in “Program File (x86)”, you may encounter this issue. For detailed information about how to resolve this issue, please refer to the following article:

Programs connected to Oracle will fail to work if Oracle is installed in "Program Files (x86)"

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555568

Did you install Oracle client on your SharePoint server?

If not, install Oracle client on your SharePoint server, then run the following command to enable the DB driver for Oracle on SharePoint:

stsadm -o setproperty -pn data-retrieval-services-oledb-providers -pv OraOLEDB.Oracle

After that, check the effect.

If the steps above can’t fix your issue, you can try the following workaround:

Try to insert a GridView control then use the tools from that view to create a new Oracle data source and then copy and paste that datasource for use with an DataForm, then check the effect.

Hope this helps.

Rock Wang

Rock Wang– MSFT
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:24 AM

All replies

• i've been wondering why I have no replies. I re-read the question and it seems to be pretty clear. So either this is a pretty esoteric and unusual issue, or people are bored with the topic. I did try all kinds of searches on this issue and found a lot of info, however nothing I try seems to work. 

One simple question then, in caser I'm missing the obvious: do I need to have enterprise sharepoint to connect to a database? I'm at a loss as to why I can't get the connection to work from the server.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:46 AM
  • i've been wondering why I have no replies. I re-read the question and it seems to be pretty clear. So either this is a pretty esoteric and unusual issue, or people are bored with the topic. I did try all kinds of searches on this issue and found a lot of info, however nothing I try seems to work. 

One simple question then, in caser I'm missing the obvious: do I need to have enterprise sharepoint to connect to a database? I'm at a loss as to why I can't get the connection to work from the server.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:47 AM
  • Hi FireGrilled,

If you install Oracle in “Program File (x86)”, you may encounter this issue. For detailed information about how to resolve this issue, please refer to the following article:

Programs connected to Oracle will fail to work if Oracle is installed in "Program Files (x86)"

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555568

Did you install Oracle client on your SharePoint server?

If not, install Oracle client on your SharePoint server, then run the following command to enable the DB driver for Oracle on SharePoint:

stsadm -o setproperty -pn data-retrieval-services-oledb-providers -pv OraOLEDB.Oracle

After that, check the effect.

If the steps above can’t fix your issue, you can try the following workaround:

Try to insert a GridView control then use the tools from that view to create a new Oracle data source and then copy and paste that datasource for use with an DataForm, then check the effect.

Hope this helps.

Rock Wang

Rock Wang– MSFT
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:24 AM
  • Hey,

FireGrilled have you been able resolve this issue. I am having the same problem.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:21 PM
  • I'm having the same issue. I cannot create a Database connection using a custom connection string to an oracle database in the Data Source Library. I can create a grid view and use an ODBC or Oracle connection just fine though, however when the page is published to my SharePoint server I recieve the same error as reported by the original poster.

We have verified that the server that sharepoint is on can definately get to the oracle server and retrieve the data via the oracle client just fine. THe server is a 64 bit WIndows 8 R2 server running Sharepoint 2007 64bit.

I'll attempt the workaround that was identified related to the () around the 86 where 32bit applications are stored, and try again.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:17 PM
  • I am having the same issue as well. Any updates?

Thursday, October 03, 2013 9:40 PM