none
SQL Server 2008 R2 Workgroup Edition limitations.

Question

• I have a client wondering if there are any significant problems with using SQL Server 2008 R2 Workgroup Edition for SharePoint 2010 Enterprise. They are not really interested in any of the federated directory/search or B2B features of SharePoint; they are mainly interested SharePoint Enterprise for the Excel and Access services in addition to integrating the search with Windows 7 Clients. It would be a fairly basic one server farm configuration so I’m not sure if the 3GB limit or lack of reporting services on SQL Workgroup would be a significant limitation for this client.

Any thoughts would be appriciated.

• Edited by Jimmygrec Friday, March 09, 2012 11:13 PM
    Friday, March 09, 2012 11:13 PM

Answers

• This is depended on the amount of users, who will be accessing SharePoint and also on the typical workload. There is no direct answer yes or no, but from my point of view 3GB RAM for a SQL is a very big limitation. Also the lack of SSRS in integrated mode might be unpleasant.

I would recommend to run SQL Standard, as this edition can use more RAM, which is critical for the SQL/SharePoint workload.

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:58 AM

All replies

• This is depended on the amount of users, who will be accessing SharePoint and also on the typical workload. There is no direct answer yes or no, but from my point of view 3GB RAM for a SQL is a very big limitation. Also the lack of SSRS in integrated mode might be unpleasant.

I would recommend to run SQL Standard, as this edition can use more RAM, which is critical for the SQL/SharePoint workload.

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Thanks Marek,

I think I will follow that advice.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:22 PM