none
First search of the day times out

Question

• Hi,

I notice that the first few searches of the day time out in SharePoint 2013. After about 30-60 seconds everything works flawlessly. It's obviously related to things spinning up for the first time in a while. I have checked the topology health and everything seems to be in order.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to alleviate this. Is it possible to increase the timeout on search beyond 15 seconds? I've been reading about "warmup scripts" to run in the morning to get things rolling before users are in. Would that be a better solution?

Here are the log entries.

Ims::Execute--Error occured: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplicationFault]: The current operation timed-out after 15 seconds (Fault Detail is equal to Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplicationFault).

SearchServiceApplication::Execute--Exception: System.ServiceProcess.TimeoutException: The current operation timed-out after 15 seconds     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.ExceptionUtilities.ThrowImsServiceBackwardCompatibleException(FaultException`1 ex)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplication._ImsQueryInternalType.DoSpLoadBalancedImsOp[T](ImsBackedOperation`1 imsCall, Int32 timeoutInMilliseconds, Int32 wcfTimeoutInMilliseconds, String operationName)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplication._ImsQueryInternalType.Execute(QueryProperties properties, Guid ssaId)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplication.Execute(QueryProperties properties)

Thank you.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:13 PM

Answers

• You could most likely use PowerShell to increase the timeout, but my recommendation would be to have a warmup script kick in early in the morning, and hit search for the first time to ensure that when users are ready to start their days, that everything has been properly warmed up and is ready to be used.

Nikolas Charlebois-Laprade Microsoft Certified Professional Software Engineer and Senior SharePoint Advisor http://nikcharlebois.com

Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:36 PM

All replies

• You could most likely use PowerShell to increase the timeout, but my recommendation would be to have a warmup script kick in early in the morning, and hit search for the first time to ensure that when users are ready to start their days, that everything has been properly warmed up and is ready to be used.

Nikolas Charlebois-Laprade Microsoft Certified Professional Software Engineer and Senior SharePoint Advisor http://nikcharlebois.com

Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:36 PM
  • As Nikolas says this is because the Search Service application has fallen out of memory overnight. A warmup script can be configured to fire up one of the results pages with a preset query which will kick the search service to life.
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Thanks. That's what I thought. I'll do the warmup script as mentioned.
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:23 PM