none
Setup the SCOM in SharePoint 2010 Environment.

Question

• Hi All,

For one customer I have a task to setup the SCOM in their SharePoint Environment in pipeline. I have to do this task next month. I am not familiar with SCOM much. I need to decide what all management packs are required the monitor the SharePoint environment effective. Can anyone please help me on this?

As per my limited knowledge I would require following Management packs to be installed.

1. Basic Operating System

2. SharePoint 2010

3. SQL Server 2008

4. Active Directory

5. Exchange Server

Today I have talked to a hosting expert he told me that there are around 200 management packs that should be installed to monitor the SharePoint Environment effectively. Could anyone please help me on this? Thank a lot in advanced.

Regards Amit

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:55 PM

Answers

• You're correct Amit, adding the SQL, IIS and OS management packs are also worth doing. The only reason I never suggested all the packs including the AD and Exchange is because the more you add the more work is obviously involved in managing all the rules etc.  I can't agree more that as SCOM is being installed its worth utilizing for other systems but I was led to believe the focus from your point of view was SharePoint.

I would start with the AD,SQL,IIS and SP one at a time and build up as and when you can.

Paul Turner http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @RedMantaUK MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010.
    Please remember to click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:19 PM

All replies

• If your client wants you to configure SCOM to monitor SharePoint then I suggest you only install the management pack for SharePoint.  The health monitors contained within it will also monitor the relevant aspects of account security and database growth, disk space etc similar to the Health Analyzer native to SP2010.

Once you start to add those other management packs you've mentioned, you're opening up to monitoring all those other systems aside from SharePoint.  For more information have a read of the technet blog article which will help you configure and install.

Paul Turner http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @RedMantaUK MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010.
    Please remember to click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

Though you have recommended to add only SharePoint management pack however the link that you have mentioned in your reply do recommend to add SharePoint, IIS 7, Windows Server 2008 OS, and SQL Server management packs.

Regarding the monitoring the other systems( AD & Exchange), As now we are install the SCOM for monitoring the environment then i suppose it is better to monitor these system too. In this way we can get more ROI(Return of Investment) from SCOM tool.

Also I am wondering whether SCOM uses the SharePoint Best Practice Heath Analyzer tool in any or some way.

Please suggest.

Regards Amit

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:45 PM
  • You're correct Amit, adding the SQL, IIS and OS management packs are also worth doing. The only reason I never suggested all the packs including the AD and Exchange is because the more you add the more work is obviously involved in managing all the rules etc.  I can't agree more that as SCOM is being installed its worth utilizing for other systems but I was led to believe the focus from your point of view was SharePoint.

I would start with the AD,SQL,IIS and SP one at a time and build up as and when you can.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:19 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate your efforts.

You have mentioned in your second last reply that SCOM has a heath monitor. Is this heather monitor related in any or some way with SharePoint Best Practice Heather Analyzer tool?  If not, is this heath monitor used the SharePoint Management pack rules or it has its own rules?

Regards Amit

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:28 PM
  • You're welcome Amit,

I suggest you read the documentation here, as the information about Health Monitoring in the Foundation document can explain things far better than me repeating them.

You'll want to read both sets of documents if you're looking at SharePoint server as you need the Foundation first.

Friday, May 11, 2012 7:26 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your hepl paul. i do appreciate your help.

Regards Amit K

Friday, May 11, 2012 7:46 AM