none
Big problem with Secure Store Service

Question

• I have checked log and then saw:

An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: The requested service, 'http://localhost:32843/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc/actas' could not be activated. See the server's diagnostic trace logs for more information..

I click URL and encountered error.

Server Error in '/SecurityTokenServiceApplication' Application.

The farm is unavailable.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: The farm is unavailable.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: The farm is unavailable.]
    Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.Claims.SPSecurityTokenServiceManager.get_Local() +15780017
    Microsoft.SharePoint.IdentityModel.SPSecurityTokenServiceConfiguration..ctor() +26

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
    System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) +0
    System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache) +86
    System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache) +230
    System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic) +67
    System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) +1051
    System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) +111
    Microsoft.IdentityModel.Protocols.WSTrust.WSTrustServiceHostFactory.CreateSecurityTokenServiceConfiguration(String constructorString) +98
    Microsoft.IdentityModel.Protocols.WSTrust.WSTrustServiceHostFactory.CreateServiceHost(String constructorString, Uri[] baseAddresses) +43
    Microsoft.SharePoint.IdentityModel.SPSecurityTokenServiceHostFactory.CreateServiceHost(String constructorString, Uri[] baseAddresses) +37
    System.ServiceModel.HostingManager.CreateService(String normalizedVirtualPath) +11732204
    System.ServiceModel.HostingManager.ActivateService(String normalizedVirtualPath) +42
    System.ServiceModel.HostingManager.EnsureServiceAvailable(String normalizedVirtualPath) +479

[ServiceActivationException: The service '/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc' cannot be activated due to an exception during compilation. The exception message is: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation..]
    System.ServiceModel.AsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result) +11601706
    System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result) +194
    System.ServiceModel.Activation.ServiceHttpModule.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult ar) +42
    System.Web.AsyncEventExecutionStep.OnAsyncEventCompletion(IAsyncResult ar) +8682771

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4952; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4955

What's problem with Secure Store Service?
    Regards.

SharePoint in Vietnam Blog: The SharePoint diary
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:36 AM

All replies

• I have exactly the same problem on my SharePoint Farm:

I tried to change Farm administrator and i checked service accounts for my IIS application pool, but it didn't change anything. I tried to check advanced settings for IIS applications pool, but it didn't change anything.

Let me know if you found a solution about that.

Friday, April 08, 2011 12:10 PM
  • Hi,

I think the best starting point would be to examine the diagnostic logs, as recommended.

Thanks and best regards,

Martin

Martin W. Angler, MCTS

Blog angler.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow me on twitter
    Friday, April 08, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Following along with what Martin said, Id ask a few more questions/suggestions

1. How did you create the SSS Service App? Farm Config Wizard or Manually, if manually, did you check in Manage Services on Server if the SSS Service is running?

2. If you are not too far down the pipe, can you just blow away the SSS Service App and do it over making sure that you are taking all the right steps.

Here is a good TechNet article on it http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee806866.aspx

Connect with Me!

Fabian G. Williams | Twitter @FabianWilliams | Blog http://www.sharepointfabian.com | Email: fabian@adotob.com

Adotob Logo

Monday, April 11, 2011 3:03 PM