none
HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

Question

•  Hi,

I was doing some development on the server and on deploying the wsp suddenly my site started showing the error "HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable".  I am using Moss 2007.

The other sites are working fine but only this site on port 81 started showing this error. I searched regarding this on line. I found the following solution mentioned below in a few places.

"This error normally comes whenever a user changed the password for the account. "

But in my case there was no password change for any account. The error just started appearing on deploying a wsp which I had deployed and retracted quite a few times earlier.

I have tried resarting the IIS,restarting the system,  redeploying the wsp , I also saw an error with the Indexer while I tried to access the Content Sources  through the SSP , I reattached the indexer and fixed this error. I have restarted the timer and search services and performed a full crawl again but the "HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable" still shows when I try to access my site.

There are no errors that I can see in my Event Viewer also now. There may be some issue with the IIS but I can not see what. 

Please let me know if anyone has faced a similar issue before.

Thanks & Regards,

Raj

• Edited by Raj190 Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:45 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:43 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Raj190,

Can you go to SharePoint Central Administration ? Please check the services (Office SharePoint Server Search, Windows SharePoint Services Database, Windows SharePoint Services Search, Windows SharePoint Services Web Application) , Another things is Verify that the application pool account is a member of both the IIS_WPG group and the STS_WPG group on the server(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823552)

Thanks,

Jack

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:37 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Raj190,

According to your description, I find this is because your WSP file caused this . here you can do as the following steps.

1. Go to your IIS(Internet Information Server)->Application Pools, find your application pool, if your application is stop, please restart it.
    2. If the step 1 have not fix it,  delete solution, then restart your IIS.
          stsadm -o deletesolution -name MyWspFile.wsp –force
    3. Check your wsp file, ensure there is no errors in it.

Thanks,

Jack

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:48 AM
  • Hi,

1. The application is started. I have restarted the application again.

2. I have redeployed the wsp and tried but that has not fixed the issue.

3. This is the same wsp that I have deployed quite a few times earlier and there are no errors in it.

I think the issue may be due to IIS since it shows "HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable".  But I am not sure what it is. Please advise.

Thanks,

Raj

Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:27 AM
  •  

Hi Raj190,

Can you go to SharePoint Central Administration ? Please check the services (Office SharePoint Server Search, Windows SharePoint Services Database, Windows SharePoint Services Search, Windows SharePoint Services Web Application) , Another things is Verify that the application pool account is a member of both the IIS_WPG group and the STS_WPG group on the server(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823552)

Thanks,

Jack

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:37 AM
  • Hi Jack,

The solution works. Thanks a lot for you help :)

Regards,

Raj

Monday, February 27, 2012 10:15 AM