none
Missing Server Side Dependencies - [MissingSetupFile]

Question

• I am using the database attach method to migrate a SharePoint 2007 environment to SharePoint 2010.   After the migration I am seeing in the health report several errors related to [MissingSetupFile] in the Missing Server Side Dependencies section.

The files that are being referenced is for an old feature that was removed over a year ago from the SharePoint 2007 environment.  It appears that the uninstallation of the feature still left some hooks in the content database.

One of the errors is:

File [Features\MossTraining\Styles\alldaydefault_stk.gif] is referenced [1] times in the database [WSS_Content_MyOakGov], but is not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature/solution which contains this file. One or more setup files are referenced in the database

As you can see it is from the MossTraining feature that was available on CodePlex.  This was installed and then ultimately uninstalled from the SP2007 environment a long time ago.   Now it has come back to haunt me.    How can I resolve this issue without having to reinstall and then attempt to uninstall the feature again?

Monday, May 10, 2010 2:15 PM

Answers

• Using SharePoint Manager 2010 from CodePlex I was able to track down the old file references for the MossTraining feature and remove them.    I now have a much more clean content database.  :)

• Marked as answer by Mike Hacker Friday, June 04, 2010 1:33 PM
    Friday, June 04, 2010 1:33 PM

All replies

• On every content DB I've imported I've seen these warnings on a DB attach from 2007.  If you don't use the file/solution in the site then I don't see how it will negativly affect your farm (other then health reports).  Those reports assume that if it was referened in your DB, you are using the file.  Are you having any real world negative affects?

Monday, May 10, 2010 3:31 PM
  • I haven't run into any real problems.  I just hate having a "dirty" content database which could cause problems in the future.

Monday, May 10, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Using SharePoint Manager 2010 from CodePlex I was able to track down the old file references for the MossTraining feature and remove them.    I now have a much more clean content database.  :)

• Marked as answer by Mike Hacker Friday, June 04, 2010 1:33 PM
    Friday, June 04, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Mike, I have similar errors.  Can you please elaborate on how you used SharePoint Manager 2010 to track down the old file references and remove them?

My errors are:

Category        : MissingSetupFile

Error           : True

UpgradeBlocking : False

Message         : File [1033\SPS\DMFramesetTopFrame.aspx] is referenced [1] tim

es in the database [Meridium1_PortalContent], but is not inst

alled on the current farm. Please install any feature/solutio

n which contains this file.

Category        : MissingSetupFile

Error           : True

UpgradeBlocking : False

Message         : File [1033\SPS\moreinfo.aspx] is referenced [1] times in the 

database [Meridium1_PortalContent], but is not installed on t

he current farm. Please install any feature/solution which co

ntains this file.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:34 PM
  • Yeah, I can't figure out how to search or find the "referenced" content item in SharePoint Manager 2010, either.  Anyone had any luck with this?
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:58 PM
  • Brad,

I ended up going through the errors generated when the search crawled the site(s).  Those errors then showed me which pages had problems.  I also used a PowerShell script to scrub all of my sites of web parts that were in error state.  That cleaned up most of the problems.
    Friday, July 16, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Corbett, could you provide your script or some example of what commands you went through?
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 9:07 AM
  • You can find a powershell script here that will help you.

http://get-spscripts.com/2011/06/diagnosing-missingsetupfile-issues-from.html

Good luck!

Antonio Segovia
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:44 PM
  • When trying to upgrade my 2010 Dev farm to SP1/ Jun11 CUs, the Upgrade failed. The upgrade log pointed to a lot of these errors types that at first I didn’t think I had to worry about.

MissingFeature

MissingSetupFile

MissingWebPart

I created a little PowerShell script that ran Test-SPContentDatabase on every database and put the output to a text file and then went to work fixing the errors.

To fix the Missing feature error I used the Feature Admin tool from Codeplex and deleted the missing Features.

There are two ways to fix the missing Setup file error. If the web part mentioned in the error is truly missing, re-install it. In my case the web parts were custom, and no longer needed so I deleted them.

To fix the missing web part errors I used the script found at http://get-spscripts.com/2011/08/diagnose-missingwebpart-and.html. This script will point you to where the issue is. Once you find that out the first thing to try is visiting the site and dropping an ?contents=1 at the end of the URL.  If this page shows a web part with an error delete it. If it is a publishing site, and the aspx file is a page in the web, delete all the previous versions of the page. Once that is complete you will need to delete the pages from the recycle bin and the administrative recycle bin.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:17 PM
  • If you get a lot of these errors, I have created automated scripts based on input txt files, feel free to use it:

For[MissingSetupFile] events, please check this article

For[MissingAssembly] events, please check this article

For [MissingWebPart] events, please check this article

For [MissingFeature] events, feel free to use the great tool FeatureAdmin, it can scan the whole farm and remove the corrupted feature references.

Etienne MARIE
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 7:13 AM
  • You will run into errors when you attempt to upgrade the content databases. PSConfig fails. You can still upgrade the db's that aren't having issues by dismounting the dbs that are having issues.
    Love them all...regardless. - Buddha
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 1:57 AM
  • I am struggling with this same issue.  Could you please elaborate on how you "tracked down the old file reference for the MossTraining feature and removed them." using SharePoint Manager 2010.  I've been searching & searching and cannot seem to find it.

Thanks,

Todd

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:50 PM
  • tshwick...all you need is at http://get-spscripts.com/2011/06/diagnosing-missingsetupfile-issues-from.html Also, Bing on Etienne Powershell Scripts and you'll find very handy scripts there for this.  I got rid of my missing ones using his.

Love them all...regardless. - Buddha

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:08 PM
  • stsadm -o enumallwebs -includesetupfiles is extremely helpful.  In fact these were all very helpful for finding these upgrade issues.

stsadm.exe -o enumallwebs
               [ -includefeatures ]
               [ -includesetupfiles ]
               [ -includewebparts ]

I haven't found these options documented on TechNet but they work in 2007. I went this route instead of database queries that are not supported and can cause problems.

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

Can you please let us know in detail on how using stsadm -o enumallwebs -includesetupfiles or even SharePoint Manager 2010 you were abel to fix the issue.

Thanks,
    Abhilash

Friday, July 12, 2013 6:18 AM
  • Thanks for mentioning to delete the file from the recycle bins.  I was pulling my hair out in frustration because the missing setup file wasn't where I expected it to be... it was in the recycle bin!

Thanks again.

Caroline

Friday, August 09, 2013 5:12 AM