none
Group Calendar looses People

Question

• Hi,
    can anyone confirm, that the Group Calendar in the Group Site Template does not remeber the people entered?
    you can add several people, but after changing to a diffrent list and then switching back only the owner of the site is still on the calendar.

Regrads,
    Oliver Kuhl
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:33 AM admin q (From:SharePoint 2010 - General Questions and Answers)
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have same problem. Also i would like to paint mu events on group calendar in different colours.
    Is there any way to create more than one group calendar.

Tnx
    Monday, December 28, 2009 1:40 PM
  • Yep. This is happening to me too. Is this a bug?
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:40 AM
  • I also have this problem
    Monday, April 12, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Same for me!
    Is this a bug or a feature (by design)?

Daniel Schmitz
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:39 AM
  • Hi

I have the same problem. Is it still unsolved?

Thanx

Markus Schmidt

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:11 PM
  • http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-foundation-help/use-a-sharepoint-group-calendar-HA101810606.aspx

View multiple users’ calendars in a SharePoint group calendar

>> Note: The view created using the following procedure is temporary . Each time you refresh the browser, only the initial calendar will display.

If such a feature is missing, a group/team calendar is not usable.

Monday, July 26, 2010 11:16 AM
  • I'll chime in as well. Fix this please.

Monday, July 26, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Hello!

Has somebody solved this problem? I have some issue with resources.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 8:30 AM
  • I had the same problem. But I found on another thread that if you select from the up right corner 'People -> SiteMembers' or another group that have created you'll be able to see other members.

I hope this might help.

Regards.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Nope, does not solve in my case.

Site -> add a group work site (to the site collection). There is the group calendar with the People picker and the Resourse adder. But If you pick a series of people that selection is not retained. Think about how useless this feature is. I have a group that I want to colaborate with. All agree to make entries to their group calendar so we can keep track of one another when the topic of the day is whatever the work site is concered with. Each time you return to the worksite you need to re add the team.

This must have been a politically motivated "feature" as no developer would make that choice. Perhaps the Exchange team said "no way, that is our functionality"

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:36 PM
  • And the extended functionality as described here. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/enable-reservation-of-resources-in-a-calendar-HA101810595.aspx  still makes this awkward.

Using their example you set up a site called rooms. Well the first view you would expect at http://sharepoint/rooms would be a group calendar with all the conference room bookings but because the group calendar does not retain the settings the end user gets a blank page.

A series of calendar views with filters based on resources could be added to the root site but the filter on Resources does not appear to work. I tried ;#resource;# any clues?

Thursday, September 02, 2010 8:29 PM
  • I agree 100% with Toomanyhats.  The group calendar seems like a fantastic tool until you realize that the group selection is cleared out every time you refresh the page.  Without retention of people selection, my users will absolutely not be willing to use this calendar.

Friday, September 24, 2010 9:51 PM
  • We Where looking at this as a motivation to move a client to Moss 2010 and we where so amazed that it lost people. How is it a group calender???  now we have to back track on the client. Thanks

how can you show vacations and attendance, etc.. on it then??? it make no sense. is ANY ONE from Microsoft actually looking into fixing this?? Becuase from what i can see there is no Microsft people which have replied. It just seems like such a quick fix too. "comment out the delete :)" Any comment for MS people who know something would be good

Friday, September 24, 2010 10:29 PM
  • I have to agree. This is one thing that could offer so much to a Company if it worked like, it seems, everyone wants and expects it too.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 8:44 AM
  • Only this behavior is blocking making my decision of using this calendar function.

I submit a feedback as follows:

https://connect.microsoft.com/site428/feedback/details/613488/sharepoint-2010-group-calendar-of-group-work-site-never-keeps-manually-selected-peoples

However, I'm not sure whether this post talks to Microsoft or not.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:16 AM
  • Agree with everyone so far. This is unuseable as is.  So many possibilities if this was rectified.

- Paul Martin

Saturday, October 16, 2010 7:25 PM
  • I also agree with everything in this post I've spent 3 days now trying to "really" make a shared group calendar with no success, obviously can't change the default view or People tab once added it just defaults back...I feel like I been thrusted back into the 80's technology.  I 'm currently uninstalling sharepoint 2010 if it  can't even do a basic shared calendar.....
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:55 AM
  • I also agree with everything in this post I've spent 3 days now trying to "really" make a shared group calendar with no success, obviously can't change the default view or People tab once added it just defaults back...I feel like I been thrusted back into the 80's technology.  I 'm currently uninstalling sharepoint 2010 if it  can't even do a basic shared calendar.....

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepoint2010customization/thread/7ef846ca-ca2e-40ce-8421-6d6d0dfb2359

This guy solved it....re-installing now :)

Friday, October 29, 2010 5:00 AM
  • Setting the "Use this calendar to share member's schedule?" option to "no" didn't work as described in the solution quoted abov e for my installation .  It only disabled my calendar row and removed the option to add more users.  This result is in keeping with Bob Weiner 's results in that thread.  I don't don't know if it makes any difference but I have the OWA calendar linked in.  I have not tried this on fresh Group Calendar yet.

I got my hopes up for a moment there, putting my Sharepoint project back on ice until this is resolved.

Cheers

Paul

Friday, October 29, 2010 4:39 PM
  • news on this matter anyone?

Cheers,

Bonvy

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:02 AM
  • This is causing problems for us as well, whats the point of a group calendar that doesnt keep the group?

It will stop us moving forward with implementation as although the previous offering had limitations everybody could view the calendar as a whole without having to add everyone else.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:50 PM
  • Yer, any news? Come on MS there are so many people moaning about this (inc me) surly you have to be doing something about it!?
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Also, has anyone had any luck modifying the web part in such a way as to remove this "feature"? This problem hasn't just gone away...
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Who designed this crap.

Lets create a group calendar but you cant view the group events you can only view your events.

Gee, i think thats why i have a calendar in outlook.

I would like to see the calendar in sharepoint to display everyones events.

Monday, January 31, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Is there already a solution for this problem. It would help me a lot..

Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:28 AM
  • if it is designed this way please let us know, why should we waste our time to find a solution thinking this is a bug. moderators please reply.
    Ricky Singh
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:31 PM
  • I have Same problem, on refresh alll the members entered in the Group Calendar missing and only my name is displayed there.
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:51 AM
  • Hi,

Same Problem here. (Why no response after 2 years?)

Best regards

Thursday, August 04, 2011 3:37 PM
  • A good workaround is here from Thomas Zepeda McMillan, using jquery:

http://zepeda-mcmillan.blogspot.com/2011/03/displaying-default-resources-on-group.html

And I agree with all others in this post, MS should provide the option to store user or group data in the group calendar. 

Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:38 PM
  • This will only work if you have specfic people you want in you calendar. If you use jquery you have to add the people you want and if you want at a later date to add more people you have to changed the script.
    Friday, January 06, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Hello, 

actually we have the same Problem as okuhl, is there any news about this Problem or does anybody has a solution which is a bit more handy than the Workaround above? 

The Problem is, that the groupmembers are changing frequently.

Regards

marcus

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:47 AM
  • Hey,

Has anyone seen an answer from microsoft by now regarding this issue?

Something like "working as intended" or "it's a bug we're currently working on"?

Kind regards,

Tim

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:32 AM
  • Unfortunately it appears Microsoft's answer is KISS MY A$$. :(
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:11 PM
  • Wow this has been going on for a few years now and STILL NO FIX?  This isn't the only forum complaining about this, I can't believe how worthless this feature is without the ability to see everyone's calendars.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:59 PM
  • I was hoping that the problem is solved in the new version...

But: The same behavior in the SharePoint 2013 Preview.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:52 AM
  • I have Sharepoint 2013 installed and this is bonkers - issue remains!
    Monday, November 12, 2012 2:34 PM
  • I don't know if this will help any of you, but the list under the People Selector drop down for group calendars is a list of all groups you are a member of.  So if you want to have a group calendar, then create a group with all the members calendars who'd you would like to see and make sure you are a member of it.  That permission group should then show up for everybody in that group.  You can then see everybody's calendar at the same time. 

Also, if you need just a few people to see everybody's calendar (for different groups), create each group they need to view, then an Active Directory group.  Add this AD group to all of those groups so they can see those groups' calendars.

Monday, December 03, 2012 8:13 PM
  • One simple bandaid is to create a fake user named "All Events". Whenever we create an event that goes on the shared calendar All Events gets added as an attendee. Doesn't show what each person is doing individually, but at least you can see a summary of all the events.

Then I made a group with everyone on the team. All Events went in there too..

Our problem is that we have too many people on the team and showing group of several hundred people takes a long time to populate.

Trying to break it down into multiple groups doesn't work. Lets say "Sales, Admin, IT, HR" for example. When you drop down the the people menu on the ribbon, only people in each respective group can see each other.

Jason in Microsoft IT has no idea what Paul in Microsoft Sales is doing. In our organization, we need to know this.

I am guessing that this is why the web part is all jacked up. Paul can't tell Jason that he screwed up the Group Calendar, so it was released all messed up in 2013 again from what I hear.

If I remember when I get to work tomorrow, Ill add a picture to show what I am trying to do.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:51 AM
  • Well at least this thread is a reassurance that I'm not an idiot.  My manager was surprised yesterday to find that I had not been able to implement the calendar in a way that should be so obvious.  At least this seems to be an issue with how the thing works, and not me.

Sadly, no solutions found for this problem?

The only thing I could think would be to make use of the resources, and add every user as a resource.  But that sounds like an administrative nightmare and not the best way to manage it.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:38 AM