none
Install SP2010 on Mac Book Pro

Question

• Hi Guys,
    I am thinking about to buy Mac book Pro but i dont know whether i can create virtual Image in Macbook with bootcamp or VMware to install 2010.
    if anyone has done this please let me know 

Thanks Ron
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:46 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can definitely do this.  You can use VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop, or VirtualBox.  VirtualBox is actually able to run the Hyper-V VHD trial downloads from Microsoft directly, which is nice.  But you can install Server 2008 and run Sharepoint 2010 as a VM on any of them.  You can also use boot camp, or just install windows directly on the MacBook (wiping out OS X) if you want, which would then allow you to run Hyper-V.  Lots of good choices.

I would highly recommend maxing out the RAM on the MacBook Pro (or any laptop) for doing Sharepoint work.  You'll need a SQL Server, IIS, and all the Sharepoint bits, and without enough RAM you'll run into trouble.

Tim

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:29 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can definitely do this.  You can use VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop, or VirtualBox.  VirtualBox is actually able to run the Hyper-V VHD trial downloads from Microsoft directly, which is nice.  But you can install Server 2008 and run Sharepoint 2010 as a VM on any of them.  You can also use boot camp, or just install windows directly on the MacBook (wiping out OS X) if you want, which would then allow you to run Hyper-V.  Lots of good choices.

I would highly recommend maxing out the RAM on the MacBook Pro (or any laptop) for doing Sharepoint work.  You'll need a SQL Server, IIS, and all the Sharepoint bits, and without enough RAM you'll run into trouble.

Tim

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Thanks Tim
    4 GB will be enough ?

Thanks Ron
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:39 PM
  • 4GB will be enough for SPF 2010. It's said that you need more than 4GB in order to *install* SPS 2010 but that once it's installed you don't need more than 4GB.

I have actually installed SPF 2010 on a MacBook that maxes out at 2GB. It worked but at least with that amount of memory SPF 2010 under VM Fusion was pitifully slow and running it in Parallels is better.

It should be noted that it wasn't that speedy even in Parallels so I went out and bought a cheap HP with a middle of the road AMD processor and 4GB and used VM Workstation with Win 7 64-bit for the main machine. That is quite fast enough so no doubt your MacPro will be quite OK with 4GB *when using SPF 2010* but I would look at Parallels first rather than VMFusion (where sometimes I have had more problems getting VMs from VM Workstation to run than I have in Parallels where they have been converted in a straightforward manner).

FAQ sites: (SP 2010) http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com; (v3) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com and (WSS 2.0) http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com
    Complete Book Lists (incl. foreign language) on each site.
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:58 AM
  • Thanks Mike for Information.
    well  i was thinking about to use VMware fusion but as you said now will go for Parallel desktop

Thanks again 

Thanks Ron
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Hi Tim
    are you talking about  this VHD which is run from virtualbox in Mac ?

can i run it from Mac or i have to install server 2008 R2 and run it using Vbox ?

please let me know how can i use this VHD with virtual box.

Thanks Ron
    Monday, March 08, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Yes, that is the VHD that I am talking about.

Yes, you can run it on a Mac using virtualbox.  TO do this, install VirtualBox on OSX, download the VHD from microsoft, create a new VM in VirtualBox, and when it asks you for the hard drive, tell it you want to use an existing drive (NOT create a new drive) and point it to the VHD.  When you are done creating the virtual machine configuration, start the VM.

Tim
    Monday, March 08, 2010 10:23 PM
  • Thanks TM
    Thanks Ron
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Hi Tim,
    I did follow your step and i assign 2 gb memory and 2 gb to host but sharepoint 2010 image is very slow.
    its my machine only or its slow ?

Thanks Ron
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:02 PM
  • Hello Everybody,

I want to buy a good laptop to install SharePoint 2010 and could do some backup scenarios, restore, administration globally, so I want to ask what do you think about the new Macbook Pro' 15 (Processor i7, 8 GB RAM and 500 GB HD) ? Is it enough to use VMWare Fusion on Parallel Mode ? Or it would be more faster to use Bootcamp and Install SharePoint 2010 on Win 7 ? 

Monday, August 02, 2010 2:00 PM
  • Hi Ron,

I am krishna from India. did you success in installing sharepoint 2010 on mac book pro?

If yes please let me know

Regards,

Krishna

Bharath
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:48 AM
  • Hi! Tim

I have been going through your replies regarding installation of Sharepoint on Macs. It has been helpful than any other online answers I could find. I am getting self trained on SharePoint and I am planning to buy a Mac. My question is, if I run Parallels and install Win Server 2008 on it, will SharePoint work effortlessly in a Mac, or am I bound to get into any troubles?!

Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:09 AM
  • I was running Server 2008 / VS 2010 / SharePoint 2007 / SQL 2008 all on 4gb of ram using Parallels. The VS ran fine, but it was clunky between server 2008 and the MAC OS. I bumped it up to 8gb of ram and it runs very very smooth.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 4:08 AM