none
Columns not showing up in Calculated Columns field

Question

• I currently have the following columns displayed in a doc library, "Name (with link to report)", "Month", "Report Type" and "Year". The report types are either estimates or actual figures. I'd like to show the actual and estimate docs in the same line (row) by month. I was going to try using a calculated column titled "Actuals" that had a formula to the effect of =IF([Report Type]=Actuals,[Name],"") but in the menu to the right the "Name" column and "Report Type" column are not shown. And when I type them in manually, I get this error "One or more column references are not allowed, because the columns are defined as a data type that is not supported in formulas." Why won't the other columns I've created show up in the side box when I try and set up the calculated column? Or is this a lost cause and I need to find a better way to do this? Thanks in advance for the help!
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Unfortunately you cannot use a lookup column in a calculated column.

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Molskow - SharePoint Architect - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Thanks for pointing that out Tom. I changed it to a single text column and that seems to be fine, but the Name column with the link to the file embedded in it still doesn't appear on the right when I'm creating my new calculated column. When I type it out as [Name] the error says that column doesn't exist (despite me visibly seeing it in my doc library haha). I want to move the Name with the link to the document under this new "actuals" column.

Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Hello,

More bad news I'm afraid, since the link is HTML you cannot use it in a calculated column - this provide a work around you can use - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointcustomization/thread/65d37c53-116a-4405-aa7a-1aeff26ad3ff

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Molskow - SharePoint Architect - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:25 AM
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:06 PM
  • sorry if this is a dumb question but i'm not too saavy when it comes to this stuff but the files i've uploaded are from a shared drive from a company server...does that matter or will that work around you've provided still do that trick? thanks for your insight!  
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Hello,

The source of the files doesn't matter, or even where the link points to, so you should be fine there.

Thanks!

Tom

Thursday, March 03, 2011 11:24 PM