none
Missing Filter Option for some columns

    Question

  • Using SPD 2010, i created a linked data source to merge several document libraries into a single listing. I added a dataform web part and set the Sort and Filter on Headers property. Several of my columns have the dropdown in the header so that end users can perform their own filter, but 2 of my columns ( they are both Site Columns (choice data type) do not have the filtering option available. Does anyone know why this would be or have any suggestions as to how i can enable filtering on these columns?

    TIA

    Dean


    Dean MCTS-SQL 2005 Business Intelligence, SharePoint 2010, Configuration

    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:30 PM

Answers

  • Hi Dean,

    I am unable to reproduce this issue. I have add a choice site column to a library and join multiple document libraries in a linked data source and display the linked data source in a data view web part and enable "Sort & Filter On Headers" option, the choice site column also can be used to filter list items in its header, and only the "Content Type" header cannot be used to filter items.

    One problem is when the site column has been added after you enabled "Sort & Filter On Headers" option, please disable this option and re-enable this option again, the new added columns will be able to filtered now.

    Let me know if you have any question.

    Thanks & Regards,
    Emir


    Emir Liu

    TechNet Community Support

    • Marked as answer by Dean Gross Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:06 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:51 AM

All replies

  • Hi Dean,

    I am unable to reproduce this issue. I have add a choice site column to a library and join multiple document libraries in a linked data source and display the linked data source in a data view web part and enable "Sort & Filter On Headers" option, the choice site column also can be used to filter list items in its header, and only the "Content Type" header cannot be used to filter items.

    One problem is when the site column has been added after you enabled "Sort & Filter On Headers" option, please disable this option and re-enable this option again, the new added columns will be able to filtered now.

    Let me know if you have any question.

    Thanks & Regards,
    Emir


    Emir Liu

    TechNet Community Support

    • Marked as answer by Dean Gross Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:06 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:51 AM
  • Thanks for the tip, i noticed the same problem. I also noticed some issues after i rearranged the order of the columns. It appears that deactivating and reactivating the "Sort and Filter On Header" option must be done after any change to the columns, which makes sense, but which does not appear in any of the documentation i have read on this topic.

    Dean


    Dean MCTS-SQL 2005 Business Intelligence, SharePoint 2010, Configuration

    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:06 PM