none
Uninstalling Microsoft Search Server Express has broken SharePoint Foundation 2010 IIS Components

Question

• Dear all,

I have been attempting to resolve some problems with the following setup:

Windows Small Business Server 2008 that has SharePoint Foundation 2010 SP1 installed (used the following guide to set this up initially : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff959273) (not concerned about the SBS features that it "breaks", as they were never used.)

The Platform is obviously x64 SBS2008 and SQL 2008 R2 Edition x64 version in use to host Databases - all software installed on the SBS box.

Search Server Express was installed, but never worked and also this seemed to break the Search functionality altogether.

SSE has been uninstalled, (the warning about re-running the Farm Config Wizard afterwards and that some functionality may get broken was acknowledged and proceeded), afterwhich a reboot was performed following the Setup Notice at the end of the unistallation proceess; the we discovered the Central Admin Site/WebApp was completely gone from IIS after logging back on to the server.

Both the Central Admin site and the main Sharepoint Site is now completely inaccessible.

>>> The backups of the sharepoint system have been failing for some time, so I do not have the luxury of a normal Restore. <<<

All the SQL databases are intact and a backup of those has been done.

I need some help with what steps to take to bring this system back online!

Will I need to basically Re-install SharePoint Foundation 2010 and then retreive the contents from the Content Database in a similar way to the process of Migrating the WSS3.0 Content DB over to SPF2010?

All help gratefully appreciated as our Production System is down at present with users puling their hair out!

(finally, please - no jibes about backup procedures - A lesson learned the hard way!.)

Many thnaks in advance if you can help.

• Edited by Archytype Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:39 AM spelling correction
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:38 AM

Answers

• reinstalling sharepoint foundation and then re-attaching the content database with a powershell command or in the content database section of Central Administration should enable you to retrieve your content, if the SQL database is good. If you dont have a giant database, this should not take very long on an all in 1 type of installation. Just make sure your patching of SP Foundation is the same or it may fail dues to version differences.

I have not done much with SQL server express so I dont have any advice on trying to fix it.

here is the reference on attaching content DBs

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff628582.aspx

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:04 PM

All replies

• reinstalling sharepoint foundation and then re-attaching the content database with a powershell command or in the content database section of Central Administration should enable you to retrieve your content, if the SQL database is good. If you dont have a giant database, this should not take very long on an all in 1 type of installation. Just make sure your patching of SP Foundation is the same or it may fail dues to version differences.

I have not done much with SQL server express so I dont have any advice on trying to fix it.

here is the reference on attaching content DBs

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff628582.aspx

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:04 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, That is what I thought would need done, but another opinion is good to get.

It's not using SQL Express, but the full product and all the databases are intact and I do have backup copies.

My Content DB is aroun 24GB so I'm estimating an hour 2, as the server CPUs are quite powerfull with 12GB of RAM.

Thanks for attaching that reference Doc too!

Richard

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:17 PM
  • Just a thought, do you recommend I detach the DB's from within SQL Server Management Studio prior to Uninstalling SFP2010 as a precaution?

Richard

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:24 PM
  • Thank you for your kind help. This resolved the problem.

Richard

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:09 PM