none
Personalized views :listview webpart

Question

• well i am trying to achieve personalization for users on list views level ... like i want to give one custom view to users which they can personalize according to there needs like sorting which all columns required in that view etc but that shouldnt effect the view for other users ...

any idea?
    http://mykbdump.blogspot.com/
    Sunday, April 05, 2009 11:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Users can create personal list views for lists in WSS. Basically when someone creates a view who doesn't have the appropriate permission all they can create is a personal view that only they will see (users with higher permissions will have the choice between creating personal and shared views). The process is exactly the same for a personal and a shared view, you just set the option at the top to specify what type of view it is. That functionality should give you what you need.

EDIT: Sorry just read the title again and saw you are talking about a web part. Your users can personalise a page through the "Welcome 'username'" menu. Doing this will put them in edit mode just like any other page, but this time the changes they make will only be visible to them, so they can add list view web parts themselves and configure tehm appropriately. Then they can save their personalised view for only them to see. Through the same menu they can then switch back to viewing the 'Shared view' or their personal view. One thing to watch here though is that users who have permission to edit the page ( so the shared view) need to make sure they are using the personalisation option to edit the page if they want to personalise it, otherwise it will change for everyone.
    Brian Farnhill
    MCAD | MCTS
    blog.brianfarnhill.com
    Canberra SharePoint User Group
    Sunday, April 05, 2009 8:45 PM
  • Sorry to be unclear with question ...

the scenario is : i have listview webpart on the page ...  i dont want personalization on page level i want on listview ...view level ..   i think your first reply was more appropiate to requirement ... can you describe the first one a bit more?

Thanks really appreciate it ..
    Sunday, April 05, 2009 10:50 PM
  • The first bit I was talking about was an actual view on the list, not one they can use on a web part. You wont be able to let users customise any web part to show a view they want without allowing personalisation at the page level.
    Brian Farnhill
    MCAD | MCTS
    blog.brianfarnhill.com
    Monday, April 06, 2009 8:56 PM
  • And how can i allow users personalize those views in webparts  if i allow personalization at the page level ?

Thanks
    Tuesday, April 07, 2009 3:25 PM
  • If the user is allowed to personalise a page, they can select modify web part from the web parts menu at the top right and then they are given a choice of using any of the defined list views, as well as customising and creating a custom list view just for that web part.
    Brian Farnhill
    MCAD | MCTS
    blog.brianfarnhill.com
    Tuesday, April 07, 2009 9:00 PM