none
Start-SPProfileServiceFullReplication how to use the -Properties parameter, possible mappings and sub-types

Question

• I am migrating user profiles from SP2007 to SP2010 using the Start-SPProfileServiceFullReplication cmdlet in the SP Administration Toolkit 2010 V2. I have looked at the definition of this cdmlet here : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff823730.aspx

Problem(s)

I have a property called "Education" with a displayname "Education and degrees".

When I use -Properties "Education" it fails with System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: The specified property does not exist. So I run it with -Properties "Education and degrees" - this goes through the whole list. So strangly enough it needs the displayname.

How though can I specify multiple properties? It will not take -Properties "AboutMe" "Education and degrees", it does take -Properties "AboutMe, Education and degrees" and -Properties "AboutMe; Education and degrees", but it is unclear how to properly define all properties.

Furhermore - allthough an initial fullreplication worked like a charm, subsequent attempts do not. I have added a subtype and a number of profile properties, some mapped to AD, some to be imported from my SP2007 profiles to SP2010. It runs without errors, but when I check the user profiles I do not find updated fields for education and degrees all is empty.

Maybe there is an issue with sub types in this?

Maybe also the the Type is incorrect. In SP2007 I have a string of 1024 chars in SP2010 Education is OOTB and is a String (Multi Value)?

As there is a lot of guessing involved it would be nice if somebody would be able to explain how the SP Profile Replication ought to work.

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 1:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

unfortunately i need to tell you that the SharePoint Replication engine will not meet your expectation. It's designed for replication within one product version. MOSS2007 is version 3 and SP2010 is version 4. For migration of user profiles micrsoft defines another migration path, over SSP contentdb attach....

regards

patrick

• Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, September 16, 2011 6:29 AM
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 4:04 PM

All replies

• I decided to try on another profile property with the displayname "Past assignments and work experience". I made sure that this property was also paired with Default User Profile Subtype. Furthermore this property is both HTML 1200 characters in the old SP2007 SSP and in the new SP2010 UPS profile properties. 

Total Time: 0:04:39
    Successful profile(s): 1335
    Failed profile(s): 12
    Last successful profile index: 3592

Only succes - but no values in the  "Past assignments and work experience". I dont know what to try now...

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Hi,

unfortunately i need to tell you that the SharePoint Replication engine will not meet your expectation. It's designed for replication within one product version. MOSS2007 is version 3 and SP2010 is version 4. For migration of user profiles micrsoft defines another migration path, over SSP contentdb attach....

regards

patrick

• Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, September 16, 2011 6:29 AM
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Patrick,

The third PreReq here (in an article about SP2010) suggests the possibility http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc663011.aspx

Also Mr Rock Wang of Microsoft believes it can be done here : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/53b3b9fc-165f-425e-8ebd-6c504f75b2ee/

I think the asnwer is that it can be done for OOTB fields, but not for custom ones.

Thanks though for the answer - I have a sad trackrecord when it comes to getting asnwers ;-) I will migrate the SSP anyway - but hoped to do a Profiles and Search first migration.

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Note to Moderator: This 'answer' is incorrect as the documentation at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc663011.aspx pretty clearly states that this can be used to replicate between SharePoint 2007 and SharePoint 2010.

Can it be 'unmarked as answer'?

string fakeEmail="jim.duncan@sharesquared.spam.com"; string realEmail=fakeEmail.Replace(".spam","")

Monday, June 04, 2012 9:48 PM
  • The -Properties parameter expects an array of strings (string[]) which you can pass like so:

[string[]]$props = "First Property","Second Property","Other Property"

Start-SPProfileServiceFullReplication -Properties $props [other parameters]

string fakeEmail="jim.duncan@sharesquared.spam.com"; string realEmail=fakeEmail.Replace(".spam","")

Monday, June 04, 2012 9:52 PM