none
Open a link from the quick launch, but in another window

Question

• Hi

I'm trying to configure a new link in the quick launch section of my sharepoint site.

When a click on the link I want to open a new window with the content of the new page.

In a HTML code is the target="_blank" property. But when I go in the Site Setting section -> Quick Launch, I can add a new link, but I can write only the address of the page, not the target="_blank" property.

Does anyone know how this can be doneDoes anyone know how this can be done?

Thx

Marco

Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:39 PM

Answers

• Ok, I've found a work around! Wink

The Recycle Bin button is out of the quick launch menu, so I've copied it and customized to open my link.

THis is a work araund because it work only if my item is the last of the menu. If I must put the link in the meddle, I can't do this...

Who find a best solution in WSS is invited to post it Big Smile

Bye

Friday, January 18, 2008 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can change this in the masterpage that you are using. The quick launch is an aspmenu and if you add the property target, you can specify to open in a new window:

<SharePoint:AspMenu id="QuickLaunchMenu" Target="_blank"

Hope this helps!

Mart

• Proposed as answer by David Nixon Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:36 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:55 PM
  • Mart's approach will impact all links - in all sites - that use that masterpage.  If you only want a few of the links to have this behaviour then you edit by navigating to site settings, then navigation.  Under "Navigation Editing and Sorting" select the link/item you want to modify then click the edit button.  Check off "open in a new window" and click OK.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:03 PM
  •  

Yes, I want to open only one link in a new window.

So Mart's approach don't work fine for me.

I'm trying to find your indication 'Navigation Editing' and so on, but I don't still find it. I've click on Site Settings but I haven't find it... please help me Smile. Consider that I'm using WSS sharepoint and not MOSS, is this the problem?

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:20 PM
  • That option is only available within MOSS not WSS

Thursday, January 17, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Ok, I've found a work around! Wink

The Recycle Bin button is out of the quick launch menu, so I've copied it and customized to open my link.

THis is a work araund because it work only if my item is the last of the menu. If I must put the link in the meddle, I can't do this...

Who find a best solution in WSS is invited to post it Big Smile

Bye

Friday, January 18, 2008 9:46 AM
  • I have the same issue with needing only one of my Quick Launch links to open in a new window, and even though I am running MOSS 2007 I do not have the option to select "open in new window" when I edit the Quick Launch entries.  Is this only available with SP1 installed, or is this option limited to only sites that are Publishing, etc. and not just standard team sites?

Thursday, May 15, 2008 12:29 PM
  • I have confirmed that you only have this control over the quick launch if you are running MOSS 2007 and your site is a Publishing site.  If you active the Publishing Infrastructure site collection feature you will then have a "Navigation" option under Site Settings.  Here you have much better control over the links in your top link bar and your quick launch, and for quick launch links you now have the option to "Open link in new window."  This way you can control the option for each individual link.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:48 PM
  • Here is an easy way to do it, embed a little Javascript in with your hyperlink.  See the attached screenshot.  For more stuff you can do with javascript here is a great BLOG from Mike Smith: http://techtrainingnotes.blogspot.com/2010/10/sharepoint-javascript-in-quick-launch.html

Hope this Helps....

Jared

• Proposed as answer by AVGuy Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:30 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:29 PM
  • This worked perfectly - Thank you!
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:08 PM
  • AVGuy.

BIG +1 on the answer. Works Perfectly!!!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:57 PM