none
Reasons for workflow to stop responding

Question

• Hi,
    From the site
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointtechnology/HA101641311033.aspx

If an error occurs with a workflow, or a workflow stops responding when users submit task information, the workflow can be canceled. When you cancel a workflow, the workflow's status is set to Canceled, and all of the tasks created by the workflow are deleted.

I am using a custom workflow that stops responding when a user submit task information. kindly clarify my questions

1. In what scenarios or what probable reasons might cause the workflow to stop responding?
    2. what kind of errors can cause that

Kindly help me on this and clarify my doubts.

~balasankarMK
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 8:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The root cause that may lead to custom workflow failing varies depending on the current situations and the custom code/logic of workflows.

For your references, I’d like to include the following article and hope it helps:

Troubleshoot workflow errors

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc298927.aspx

Please describe the symptom and error message to us if the custom workflow encounters specific error. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Lionel

Monday, December 22, 2008 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, Thanks for the reply.

The workflow status is "InProgress". But workflow is supposed to create a sequence of workflow tasks.
    the workflow creates one or two workflow tasks say task1,task2. once these tasks are completed, it's supposed to create the next workflow task, say task3.But the workflow has not created this workflow task task3. but the workflow status shows "in Progress" and no error has occured. This means the workflow is not responding.

In the reference link - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc298927.aspx - it's given that  "The most common reasons for workflow failure are a defect in the workflow design, network issues, or restricted user permissions." so will any network issues be reason for the workflow to stop responding?
    If so, kindly let me know about those issues.

I guess the network related isssues could be the reason because if I terminate the workflow and start the workflow again, it creates the sequence of tasks as expected and the workflow gets completed successfully. Moreover, the workflow stops responding very occasionally. since it's running successfully in the second time, I dont think that defect in the workflow design or restricted user permissions could the reason behind workflow to stop responding.

kindly help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks for the help,
    bala
    Monday, December 22, 2008 12:30 PM
  • Hi Bala,
     check the TaskId during the creation of Task3. Or Check the variables u created. Otherwise delete the task id u created and create a new task id and change accordingly. There might be refreshment problem. Check the steps.

thank u.
    Goud
    Friday, January 02, 2009 10:30 AM