none
Moving Individual List item to another List in Sharepoint

Question

•  

How would one go about moving a list item from one list to another?

Current ideas were use the datasheet view and just copy them over. Issue there is a multitext field that includes a hyperlink in a list. It won't allow the transfer of the link. The scenario below is what I am working with

List 1: Work Orders

Need to move list item from here to list 2, while maintaining all data and links entered into the original work orders.

List 2: Work Order Archives

If any have any comments please feel free to let me know. I am very new to the SharePoint system and am aiding the administrator in setting this up. I’m just drawing blanks. The administrator knows about coding and the like, so if the answer requires coding please leave the information so I can print and have him review. Thank you.

Monday, November 12, 2007 4:10 PM

Answers

• The command I mentioned above (copylistitems) should work for you.  If you want to move the entire list there's also a copylist command that should help.  Note that if you're using the copylistitems command that any columns that exist on the source and not the target will be automatically created.  Also - there's a bug with Microsoft's deployment API so any all items (including dependencies such as preview images) will be stored at the root folder (I'm currently working on a workaround for this but it's proving to be a rather stubborn problem).

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 3:51 PM

All replies

• If you're using MOSS 2007, it should be able to do your archiving for you via the Records Center.

If not, then you'd probably have to do it via code and if you want to do it every so often then have a look at SPDailySchedule or SPMonthlySchedule.

Monday, November 12, 2007 4:43 PM
  • Check out the copylistitem command located here: http://stsadm.blogspot.com/2007/08/stsadm-commands_09.html.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:02 AM
  • i have a similar problem.
    i want to move one of my lists to the documnets is this posible or would i have to create a new one and transver it all manualy. im hopeing there a way that i dont have to do that, help would great and im useing sharepoint 2007.
    thanks
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:19 AM
  • The command I mentioned above (copylistitems) should work for you.  If you want to move the entire list there's also a copylist command that should help.  Note that if you're using the copylistitems command that any columns that exist on the source and not the target will be automatically created.  Also - there's a bug with Microsoft's deployment API so any all items (including dependencies such as preview images) will be stored at the root folder (I'm currently working on a workaround for this but it's proving to be a rather stubborn problem).

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 3:51 PM
  • So far the items that have been submitted have worked but not entirely. When the Single list item is move to another list it will not retain the Hyperlink. Useing either the above methods or any new suggestions, how would I go about retaining the Hyperlink when I move the Item?

Issue here is that as the items are moved to the archive List they will need to retain that link. As those links are required for documentation within the intranet. Ie: Maps and documents that are on the server. The process of copying the link then moveing the item and then pasting the link in the new field, is a step I am trying to avoid. Thank you to those who have submitted so far and I look forward to the responses to come.

When list is exported to access memo field which contains the hyperlinks is read only and just the hyperlink description shows

So that you cannot edit or copy the existing links. If this field that is a mulitvalue text field in sharepoint is exported as a memo field in access and we can access it then we can copy the contents of the memo field.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:40 PM
  • do you realise that copying one list item to another one overwrites the settings of the destination library. is this a bug?

thanks

Friday, June 11, 2010 4:22 PM