none
Sharepoint workflow copy list item to another list

Question

• Hi

I have two list, one called Employees with an the following column, Employee Name & BFdescription.  The second list as many more columns, but amount them I have a lookup column with Employee Name and BFdescription.

Basickly what I want is my staff to go onto teh 2nd list, click one of the items and select their name (to register), once this is done I want a workflow to copy the BFdescription from the 2nd list to the first but to the item that relates to the employee Name. 

I have done the workflow but all I can get it to do is create a new item as oppose to update the one I want.

Thank you

Saturday, December 10, 2011 3:11 AM

All replies

• Hi

Isn't clear . In the register procedure you didn't metioned something about BFdescription update/change. So why should uodate in first list?

Second question

Why in the register form/window, when the user select his name and /or eventually need to update BFdescription field, you don't use Employee list? ( beacause in the second list, you have already a lookupcolumn from first list Employee Name column - i think that you checked also to have also BFdescription in the second one  - you will have in the second list these 2 columns up to date after each user's register procedure  )

Romeo Donca
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Hi, Sorry I was not clear in what I was asking.

Basicly what I have is a site so that my employee's can register to there training courses,  each classes have 20 seats (20 items with the same BF_Description).  BF is only one of the lists that contains the course informatoin, I have 5 more courses).

The Employee tables contains my list of employees and a column for each of the courses they have taken.

So what I want is when an employee goes to the first list (BF_List) and selects the class he wants (Item) the work flow updates the employee's list BF_Description column with the BF_Description column.

I cannot use the drop down method within my employee list since I would not be able to limit my classes like I do with seperate list's.

Hope this clarifies a little bit what I'm looking for.

Thank you

Sunday, December 11, 2011 1:59 AM