none
Unable to upload multiple files

Question

• In MOSS, I am unable to upload multiple files from the Site Actions | Manage Content and Structure | New | Item menu. I have tried adding Word documents and image files (JPEG, GIFS) to no avail into the \images or \document folders. Even if I try just one file, three or five, the menu never initiates or progresses. It just sits. If I cancel, the menu returns immediately. I have tried to change security settings with no success. Trying to upload multiple files on different MOSS installations also fails. If this is related to a Web Dev settings, can you tell me exactly where the setting is? Thanks for your insight. cm

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:56 PM

Answers

• Believe it or not, I have found a solution after about 4hrs of fiddling around. This appears to be a bug in Sharepoint 2007. There is a work around that I have discovered! Follow the steps below and let me know if this works for you. It has worked for me and other people so far.

The steps are as follows:

1) Browse to your website at http://<servername>/_layouts/settings.aspx; you will need to login by providing a service account name & password or your site collection administrator account & password.

2) Once you login, click on 'Site Actions' menu.

3) Then, click on 'Manage Site Content and Structure'.

4) Click on any document library you want to upload or add files into. If you do not see the 'Upload' menu from the dropdown main menu between the 'New' and 'Actions' menu then you have this bug as well showing up on your server. Don't give up yet, there is a solution. Keep going through these steps!

5) Click on 'New' and select 'Item'.

6) You should now see the Upload Document page; under the input browse field there should be a link for 'Upload Multiple Files...', if you do not see this you will need to install either Office 2003 or Office 2007. If you do see it, click on it.

7) Now, you should see the multiple upload page that allows you to select multiple files. If you try to select one or several and click on the OK button, nothing will happen. No need to worry! There is a work around. Just keep reading to the next step.

8) On the hierarchy navigation you will have links something like this:

WebSiteName > Folder1 > Folder2

9) Click on the "Document Library" folder name; in our case it was Folder1. Basically its the folder you ended up in in step #4.

10) Now, did you notice anyting in your menu change? Now you should be able to see the Upload menu option between the 'New' and 'Actions' menu that you could not see in step #4.

11) Click on the 'Upload' menu and select 'Upload Multiple Documents'

12) Now, you will be back at the Upload document page where you were in step #7

13) Select one file or many and then click OK. Now it works!!! You should get an IE popup asking you that your about to upload files to your site, Click OK.

VOILA!!!

Don't ask me why, I do not know why this happens but it works.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:04 PM

All replies

• Yes, I am having the same problem; if anyone has a solution to this it would be appreciated. What I have been able to find out is that the multiple file upload feature utilizes 3 DLL's that are part of the Office suite once it is installed. If you do not have Office installed, you will not have the option to upload multiple files. I have tried in multiple environment configurations such as: XP w/Office 2003, XP w/Office 2007, Vista w/Office 2003, and Vista w/Office 2007 and have had no luck.

If anyone has a solution or comes across something that works, it will be appreciated.

At this time, I have no answers; however, should I come across one I will post it on this thread.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:21 AM
  • Believe it or not, I have found a solution after about 4hrs of fiddling around. This appears to be a bug in Sharepoint 2007. There is a work around that I have discovered! Follow the steps below and let me know if this works for you. It has worked for me and other people so far.

The steps are as follows:

1) Browse to your website at http://<servername>/_layouts/settings.aspx; you will need to login by providing a service account name & password or your site collection administrator account & password.

2) Once you login, click on 'Site Actions' menu.

3) Then, click on 'Manage Site Content and Structure'.

4) Click on any document library you want to upload or add files into. If you do not see the 'Upload' menu from the dropdown main menu between the 'New' and 'Actions' menu then you have this bug as well showing up on your server. Don't give up yet, there is a solution. Keep going through these steps!

5) Click on 'New' and select 'Item'.

6) You should now see the Upload Document page; under the input browse field there should be a link for 'Upload Multiple Files...', if you do not see this you will need to install either Office 2003 or Office 2007. If you do see it, click on it.

7) Now, you should see the multiple upload page that allows you to select multiple files. If you try to select one or several and click on the OK button, nothing will happen. No need to worry! There is a work around. Just keep reading to the next step.

8) On the hierarchy navigation you will have links something like this:

WebSiteName > Folder1 > Folder2

9) Click on the "Document Library" folder name; in our case it was Folder1. Basically its the folder you ended up in in step #4.

10) Now, did you notice anyting in your menu change? Now you should be able to see the Upload menu option between the 'New' and 'Actions' menu that you could not see in step #4.

11) Click on the 'Upload' menu and select 'Upload Multiple Documents'

12) Now, you will be back at the Upload document page where you were in step #7

13) Select one file or many and then click OK. Now it works!!! You should get an IE popup asking you that your about to upload files to your site, Click OK.

VOILA!!!

Don't ask me why, I do not know why this happens but it works.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:04 PM
  • Is there a way to make this work without the workaround proposed above?

Kind  Regards,

Luc

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 9:06 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Thank you for your posting. It saved me a lot of time.

Friday, December 07, 2007 3:38 PM
  •  

Thanks Eric. I've been trying to figure this out on my end too and your13 steps fixed my problem!

KUDOS!

Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:45 PM
  • I have actually figured out why this is happening, in our case anyway.  We are using a custom webpart to link to the upload page of the doc library, when that URL string gets built we are putting in the source as a relative path.  We figured out that if there was a source attribute in the URL string with a relative path the ok button would not work, once we recoded the source attribute to use an absolute path it worked fine.  So for people having this issue check this, copy your URL string and check the &source= in the URL string, if the attribute does not contain the absolute path it will break.  Hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by Jason Shoes Monday, August 25, 2008 3:18 PM
    Monday, August 25, 2008 3:17 PM
  • Something I have found to circumvent this issue as well is to save the document/spreadsheet in the native format, ie xlsx or docx
    Monday, February 25, 2013 4:07 AM
  • I know this is old post, but we just have issue with our old SharePoint 2003 and Office 2013

Using Eric2007 method, I found out the issue is missing value of the RootFolder.

On a SharePoint document library, if you click Upload Document, look at the URL, RootFolder= (NOTHING), all you have to do is to supply a value to your document library location

Our site is: http://www.mysite.com/sites/CurrentSite/MyDocuments
    then update from "RootFolder=" to "RootFolder=/sites/CurrentSite/MyDocuments"

I hope it helps someone out there who have issue with upload multiple files after select files and the Save (or Save and Close) does nothing

Monday, August 11, 2014 11:32 PM