none
Sharepoint 2010 Enterprise SP1 Installation

Question

• I have Sharepoint 2010 Enterprise and have already installed SP1 for Sharepoint Services.  Do I need to install SP1 for Sharepoint Foundation too?   I though that Sharepoint Foundation is the same thing except that it is free and with limited functionality.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:38 PM

Answers

• Technically yes, you need to install Foundation SP1 prior to Enterprise SP1, but in reality, no, many of us have installed Enterprise SP1 without installation Foundation SP1.

Post-August 2011 CU, you can install Cumulative Updates on Enterprise without installing Foundation updates first.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP - 2012

Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:57 PM
  • Hi,

The installation of SPs and CUs was modified with SharePoint 2010 in that you were not required to download and install both updates as the Server SPs and CUs included the binaries for Foundation as well... However, prior to SP1 we had noticed that when installing only the Server CUs you would not always get the correct results. Therefore as part of MVP DL we implemented as a best practice installing both the foundation and server binaries.

SharePoint 2010 SP1 came out just prior to the June 2011 CU and I haven't seen or heard of any issues which require you to install both Foundation and Server updates since that time. There were issues with the initial June 2011 CU. In addition, Spence who I typically refer to with regard to infrastructure guidance updated his post http://www.harbar.net/archive/2011/06/30/327.aspx on 12.19.2011 > "Now the guidance is to simply deploy the Server package. This works well now, much better than before and is what I do on all my deployments, customer and otherwise. There are additional considerations for language packs and OWA however."

-Ivan

-Ivan

-Ivan  

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:07 PM

All replies

• Technically yes, you need to install Foundation SP1 prior to Enterprise SP1, but in reality, no, many of us have installed Enterprise SP1 without installation Foundation SP1.

Post-August 2011 CU, you can install Cumulative Updates on Enterprise without installing Foundation updates first.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP - 2012

Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:57 PM
  • Hi,

The installation of SPs and CUs was modified with SharePoint 2010 in that you were not required to download and install both updates as the Server SPs and CUs included the binaries for Foundation as well... However, prior to SP1 we had noticed that when installing only the Server CUs you would not always get the correct results. Therefore as part of MVP DL we implemented as a best practice installing both the foundation and server binaries.

SharePoint 2010 SP1 came out just prior to the June 2011 CU and I haven't seen or heard of any issues which require you to install both Foundation and Server updates since that time. There were issues with the initial June 2011 CU. In addition, Spence who I typically refer to with regard to infrastructure guidance updated his post http://www.harbar.net/archive/2011/06/30/327.aspx on 12.19.2011 > "Now the guidance is to simply deploy the Server package. This works well now, much better than before and is what I do on all my deployments, customer and otherwise. There are additional considerations for language packs and OWA however."

-Ivan

-Ivan

-Ivan  

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:07 PM