none
Copy SharePoint List Column Content To Another Column

Question

• Hello,

I would like to ask if it's possible to copy the content of a list column to another column ? With C# or JavaScript ?

I created this custom searh in JavaScript (Content Editor Web Part), but is not working for one column and i think is broken!

The List has a couple of columns, ex: Name, Author, Date, Phone  and there are a couple of hundreds of items in the list.

I can search for any column except for Name, where i get this "error" message: "One or more field types are not installed properly. Go to the list settings page to delete these fields."

I was thinking if there is any possibility to create another column, ex: Name2, copy the content of column Name, delete column Name and rename column Name2 to Name ?

Thank you very much!

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, June 18, 2010 6:20 AM asking for (firstly) C# code (From:SharePoint - Social Computing (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, June 18, 2010 6:07 AM

Answers

• Simple one is just by creating calculated column.

For example create new column xyz (calculated column), in Formula =[Title] and click on Ok. Now check it by entering new record and just enter value for Title, and it automatically copies to xyz column.

Thanks & Regards, Neerubee
    • Marked as answer by Snoopx Friday, June 18, 2010 7:50 AM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 6:53 AM

All replies

• Hi again,

I found a "solution" ... The logic name of the Name column is Title, but the displayed name is Name ... i just changed to Title and works great!

Hmmm ... kinda wired !

But still if somebody has a solution about how to copy the column content to another column in the same list please let me know!

Friday, June 18, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Simple one is just by creating calculated column.

For example create new column xyz (calculated column), in Formula =[Title] and click on Ok. Now check it by entering new record and just enter value for Title, and it automatically copies to xyz column.

Thanks & Regards, Neerubee
    • Marked as answer by Snoopx Friday, June 18, 2010 7:50 AM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 6:53 AM
  • Hi neerubee,

Works perfect ! Thank You!

Friday, June 18, 2010 7:50 AM
  • Hi Neerubee,

but if column from type lookup is not work
    so what solution fro this ????

thanks waleed

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:28 PM