none
Infopath form opening up a blank IE page

Question

• I have an infopath form that is in a sharepoint library.  Every time I open a new form, it will open a blank IE page and will prompt me if I want to Open or Save.  When I open the form,  the extra blank page is still there in another tab.  

I have Infopath client so I have the settings Opening Documents in Browser set to “Open in the client Application”.  Can’t find any other setting that will change this behavior.   

Thank you for your time.

Monday, June 10, 2013 8:43 PM

Answers

•  

Ok I think I got it. After a lot of trial and error, I found to set the .xml extension association to Microsoft InfoPath 2010.  Doesn't come up with the extra page and it opens right up. Which is fine because all of our users have Infopath. 

Thanks to all who have replied.  Appreciate it.

Monday, June 17, 2013 11:26 PM

All replies

• I think the setting of "Open in the client application" will force SharePoint to open the document to its default client application. But, the workaround for the InfoPath form to open in browser: Open the form in InfoPath Designer, Form Options then under compatibility choose "Web Browser Form".

Hope this helps :)

Monday, June 10, 2013 10:03 PM
  • Hi Asfiti! I have a Person/Group Picker control which is not supported in Web Browser forms.  Wonder if the Person/Group picker from AD is causing this?

The current Compatibility setting is (Infopath 2001 Filler Form)

• Edited by timm_ms Monday, June 10, 2013 10:13 PM
    Monday, June 10, 2013 10:09 PM
  • Switch the control to "Text box" for manual entry for only test purpose then you'll restore back once you know the whole detail of what causing rendering issue. 
    Monday, June 10, 2013 10:14 PM
  • I totally removed that control, published, but still same issue.

Monday, June 10, 2013 10:47 PM
  • have you managed to change the compatibility to web browser?
    Monday, June 10, 2013 10:54 PM
  • I did and it still opens a blank page. For some people, it opens a blank page, they close the blank page, then it will prompt to open or save the form.  But they have to close the blank page first.  For me, it opens a seperate blank page.
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:13 PM
  • have you deactivated under site collection feature "Open documents in clients application by default" ?
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:30 PM
  • I checked and it is Active

• Edited by timm_ms Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:25 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:33 PM
  • timm_ms,

Deactivate the feature.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 10:42 PM
  • Ok- I deactivated that feature.  Now, it prompts to open the file, when you hit OK, it opens a blank page The blank page says "blank page" on the tab, but when you click on the X to close, it says "connecting and it prompts to open or save.  If you open the form, it opens the form but keeps a blank page open as well. I checked other infopath forms in other sites and it does the same thing.

Thank you Asfiti for your time with this.

Tim

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 11:26 PM
  • Ok- Just found out something.  This only happens to my form Libraries that are in "Datasheet View"  .  Now, to figure out WHY??  

Friday, June 14, 2013 10:13 PM
  •  

Ok I think I got it. After a lot of trial and error, I found to set the .xml extension association to Microsoft InfoPath 2010.  Doesn't come up with the extra page and it opens right up. Which is fine because all of our users have Infopath. 

Thanks to all who have replied.  Appreciate it.

Monday, June 17, 2013 11:26 PM