none
How do I set up OCR on PDF's to integrate into Sharepoint Foundation 2010 on my SBS2011 Server?

Question

• I'm going to give an overview of my situation, and what I need to accomplish as a final goal.

I am administering a small network for a local firm.  We are running Windows Small Business Server 2011 (Windows Server 2008 R2, and Sharepoint Foundation 2010) and 6 new Windows 7 workstations.  We have a network copier installed in a central location, which is the only place we get incoming scans.  When we scan, we currently choose which desktop is our destination, and each user retrieves their scans independently, and does as they wish.  Each workstation also receives PDF's through email.

We need a solution which would allow us to use our scanner and send to a single location for all incoming scans.  Then have that location OCR the scans into readable PDF's, and have those PDF's transferred to a folder on our Sharepoint Server.  We also need the same ability from incoming emails, or any existing PDF's we have.

This needs to be an extremely user friendly role on the client side, being as the users are not computer literate.  If there is a button in outlook that says Send to sharepoint, and it automatically sends them to the OCR server, which forwards them into Sharepoint that is perfect.

Our current server (i7-2700k, 32gb ram) is already slow with everybody on sharepoint and using the library.  If there is software that can install on it and be directed to run the batch in the off hours, we can use the existing server, otherwise I believe we will need an OCR scanner, being as the processes are CPU intensive.

Thoughts, ideas, what do I do?!... Our budget is less than $4000 and Windows Server skill level is 5/10.  1/10 being a complete n00b, 5/10 being as I got this thing setup entirely having never done it before, knowing only what I know from years of being a PC repair tech.  For this reason, I prefer an option with a company supporting it.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

In the scanner itself you can specify the default destination as an email address. You can use the incoming email address of the document library for this eMail address. 

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 3:24 AM
  • Hi

To OCR PDFs in a watched folder (or exchange mailbox) to searchable format via and then automatically upload to Sharepoint take a look at Aquaforest's Autobahn DX Server : http://www.aquaforest.com/en/autobahn.asp

Hope that helps

Neil

• Edited by Neil Pitman Wednesday, August 08, 2012 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, August 08, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe a 'little' too late, but you could use Udocx for this. With this application you get the same buttons to scan to SharePoint folders on the scanner and the pc, making it very user friendly.

Processing the scans/emails/documents to searchable PDF files is done in the cloud. This makes the documents accessible almost instantly, instead of having to wait till the off hours. There's no need to install software, and our solution is easily within your budget. Furthermore, you can benefit from our in-house support.

Take a look at the Udocx website: www.udocx.com

Cheers

Iris

Iris vH

• Edited by Iris vH Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:47 AM
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:46 AM